Skip to content
HArmament's profile

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 8:00 AM

Firewall in SMCDG3

All,

I know there's a firewall built into the SMC; however, if I uncheck the following two options, will it turn it off? Let me clarify, I'm not looking to turn it off. I have a WRT3200 sitting behind this and want to put it into bridged mode and essentially be a wireless AP at that point. Just want to make sure if I do that, I still have a firewall on the SMC. Thank you. 

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

8 years ago

Hello HArmament  and welcome to forums,

In general the firewall function of the Comcast equipment will remain active unless you disable the "Disable Firewall for True Static IP Subnet Only" and "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection", or if you listed the device in the DMZ. These or have an admin, such as myself, put the modem into Bridge Mode. Are these the two options you are speaking of, would you please provide more clarity on your question?

Thank You

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the help, Michael! 

I actually talked to a Comcast rep last week who put it in Bridge Mode for me; however, I lost connection. 🙂 I even tried to plug my laptop directly into the SMC and changed the IP address to 192.168.2.4 (the SMC is 192.168.2.1) and I couldn't get a connection. So, I need to figure out if there's something else on the router side I need to change. 

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for this update,

When putting your modem in bridge mode it can take a while but this will only push one IP address. In this mode it is suggested that you utilize a router. Do you have a router or firewall that can handle IP assignments.