Skip to content
seanglgr's profile

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, September 17th, 2020 10:00 AM

Do I need to set my gateway to Bridge Mode?

This morning I called into Comcast support and had a technician remove the static IP address on our service.  I wanted this because a few weeks ago I found out that the Cradlepoint 4G backup does not work with a static IP.  Once the static IP was removed, I reset the WAN interface on our firewall to DHCP (it was configured with our static IP previously).  I am not 100% sure, but I could have sworn that the firewall then pulled the same IP that was on the gateway.

The tech was having some issues so we reset the gateway a few times.  It may have even been factory defaulted.  I don't know when it happened, but now our firewall has a 10.1.10.x IP address from the gateway.  Nobody is able to connect via VPN.  I am using a DDNS record for VPN.  I can ping the DDNS record and it shows the gateway IP correctly.  I really think that the firewall needs to somehow have the same IP address as the gateway.

I called in a second time and the representative I spoke to suggested pass-through mode by disabling the firewall (on the gateway).  This did not work. She also suggested that I try port forwarding.  This did not work either, but I will admit that I was unsure what settings to use.  I just guessed at using HTTPs, forwarding to the IP of the firewall and using port 443.

Can anyone tell me if enabling Bridge Mode is what I need to do to make VPN work again?  Or can you at least tell me if it will give my firewall the same IP address as the gateway?  Sorry if this message is too long.  I just wanted to provide as many details as possible.

Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

272 Messages

4 years ago

Hello, how is it going? I hope overall your day has been a good one. We sincerely appreciate your time calling in and posting your experience on forums. We have a dedicated team that will always do everything possible to help. I apologize you are having trouble connecting to your VPN after removing your static IP. We definitely want to put the modem in Bridge Mode and bypass the modem firewall if you are using a router or additional equipment behind the modem. I would also try resetting your PC and modem and test a PC directly to the modem to make sure your internet connection is there. 

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your response Joseph.  I put the gateway into Bridge Mode and our firewall now has the IP address.  However, we are still unable to connect to VPN.  I reset the gateway and our firewall.  Every device here is able to connect to the Internet.  

Should I be in Advanced or Basic Bridge Mode?  It is currently in Advanced.  I went to change to Basic and there was a message that this should only be used for SD WAN.  

The only change that was made to the firewall was taking the WAN interface from static IP to DHCP.  So I can't imagine that this has anything to do with the firewall.  VPN was working prior to the static IP removal. 

Before I moved the gateway into Bridge Mode, I could ping the DDNS record that I am using.  Now I get request timed out when trying to ping the record, but I assume this is from the firewall not allowing ping.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  

Official Employee

• 

295 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for your patience. Can you tell me if you have also tried testing a PC directly to modem to see if you experience the same issue?

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I'm seeing the exact same issue, comcast changed something...

see this other thread started by someone else.

https://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Bridge-Mode-inbound-ingress-traffic-issues/m-p/42300

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

@Comcast_Gabe what would you like me to test with a PC connected directly to the modem?  We have no issue getting to the internet.  Our issue is employees unable to connect to devices onsite via VPN.  If I connect a PC directly to the modem, it will not be behind the firewall to test the VPN connection.  Thank you for your response though.

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for all the replies, but I believe I have resolved the issue.  I set the modem to Basic Bridge mode and was able to connect via VPN.

Problem solver

• 

348 Messages

4 years ago

Hi there :)! Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the Digital Care team here through the forums. I really do appreciate your time and patience with us. We do know that with this horrible virus going on, we are working as quickly as possible to respond to our amazing customers. I know that we are always working on ways to improve our customer experience such as the wait time. I am sorry to see that you are also experiencing the same issue with your modem. I know how frustrating this can be and you have reached an amazing team to help! 

Can you please send us a private message with your name, the full address, and the phone or account number? 

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

4 years ago

I am so very glad to hear that you were able to find a resolution to the connection issues, and that bridge mode is working for you. Should you need to anything in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to us here at any time we would love to assist you!