Skip to content
JimD's profile

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

Monday, September 14th, 2020 2:00 PM

Cisco Modem Losing Upstream Lock

We upgraded our service back in July and that upgrade required our modem to be replaced. Now, I've been battling this for 2 months now....

Every day the modem loses it's upstream bond and eventually restarts on it's own to start the ranging process again. This is not acceptable, especially when we are trying to process a credit card transaction and the customer must wait up to 10 minutes while the modem reconnects.

The service techs have replaced the cable coming to our building as well as the modem itself, but it still continues.

If there is some way this could be escalated to be traced at the head end or farther down the line, it would be appreciated.

sept14_435.pngsept14ranging.png

Log of outages:

Monday August 3rd - 1:20pm
Tuesday August 4th - 1:30pm
Thursday August 6th - 1:51pm
Thursday August 6th - 6:30pm Reboot for unknown reason
Monday August 10th - 12:33pm
Tuesday August 11th - 6:39pm
Thusday August 13th - 8:17pm
Friday August 14th - 2:18pm

============================
Saturday August 15th - Service tech
Checked cable by modem
Installed filter on TV cable side
Said to disconnect TV cable if still happening
Said now on device watch

Monday August 17 - 3:14pm
Tuesday August 18 - 5:11pm
Wednesday August 19 - 1:01pm (removed TV cable)
Monday August 24 - 1:07pm
Tuesday August 25 - 1:11pm (removed splitter - cable now direct to outside)
Wednesday August 26 - 1:30pm
Wednesday August 26 – 2:51pm
Thursday August 27 - 1:43pm (called - recording said work completed recently - restarted modem[unplugged/plugged back in] as instructed)
Friday August 28 - 1:50pm (called - agent rebooted remotely - told there are a lot of outages in area)
Saturday August 29 - 2:19pm (called - 25 to 30 minute wait - hung up)
Sunday August 30 - 10:45am
Monday August 31 - 4:55pm (called - setup service call)
Tuesday September 1 - 5:00pm

Wednesday September 2nd - Service tech
Checked cable from outside and by modem
Said replaced ground block outside
Replaced modem

Thursday September 3rd - 3:55pm to 3:56pm
Friday September 4th - 3:42pm
Monday September 7th - 7:06pm
Tuesday September 8th - 1:07pm
Wednesday September 9th - 1:11pm
Thursday September 10th - 1:16pm

Thursday September 10th - Called and escalated

Friday September 11th - Service techs (2)
Gave screenshots of problem to tech
Replaced cable from pole

Saturday September 12th - 4:30pm (upstream lock lost)
Monday September 14th - 4:35pm (upstream lock lost)

Gold Problem solver

• 

421 Messages

4 years ago

I'm really glad you let us know about this, we'd be glad to work on figuring this out for you. I know how vital credit transactions are right now. Please click on my handle (Comcast_[Gina]) and send a private message with your name, the business name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number, and any other pertinent details you haven't already included above, so we can help. 

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

Requested info sent.

Official Employee

• 

272 Messages

4 years ago

I appreciate your detailed reply, Jim. I apologize for the connection lose but this is always a great place to talk and get support as we are a dedicated team that is here to help resolve any concern. I promise I will take the right actions to help. I can imagine how inconvenient this is for your business and all users that are trying to get online. My diagnostic check does not show any timeouts, but I can get an appointment scheduled so we can refer work to maintenance if needed. I was wonderland if you have any devices losing connection that connect directly to the modem.

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

All equipment is hard wired and I don't lose connection to the modem. Normally when it happens LAN remains connected, WAN is what dies.

The only time I lose my LAN connection is if the modem does a complete reboot. But that's expected.

Which you can add to the list of when it's gone down:

Tuesday September 15th - 1:15pm (modem reboot on it's own)

Times I use in my posts are Eastern time.

Gold Problem solver

• 

421 Messages

4 years ago

You're awesome, Jim; thank you for so much information! I'll have to ask some questions to make sure that we can schedule a tech. 

Please let us know! And I really appreciate all the data you've provided so far, it's really helpful to us! 

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

No to all the questions.

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

The same thing just happened at 1:32pm eastern..

notlocked.png

Problem solver

• 

144 Messages

4 years ago

Hi there! I wanted to follow up with to see if you still needed assistance? 

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

There are several people that have spoken to me in private messages. So, probably not.

But I will continue to post the outages as they happen until they stop happening.

It happened again today at 1:37pm Eastern:

notlocked09_19.png

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

But I will say that this is getting extremely frustrating. This has been going on for 2 months now with no resolution.

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

Informational for those working on problem: The problem continues...

Monday Sept. 21st 1:41pm Eastern

upstreamlost09_21.png

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

4 years ago

Hi, there! Thank you for your patience and for sending over those details. I have reviewed the area and I am still seeing that we have a team working to resolve a technical issue affecting your area. I will continue to monitor this issue for another 24 hours and follow up with you to provide an update and to ensure we get this fixed. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out for any additional questions or concerns.

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

Tuesday Sept. 22nd 1:45pm Eastern

Out9_22.png

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for providing these details and for your patience. In reviewing the account, I am seeing that we still have our awesome field team working diligently to resolve the technical issue affecting your location. I’ll continue to monitor this issue on my end and reach back out to you within 24 hours to provide an update and to ensure a solution. Please feel free to reach out for any additional questions or concerns in the meantime. We are here to help 24/7.

Recognized Contributor

• 

29 Messages

4 years ago

Wednesday September 23rd - 1:49pm

lost9-23.png