Skip to content
evazquez00's profile

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018 8:00 AM

Cisco DPC3941B - no longer supported?

OK, hoping someone from Comcast will chime in.

Brand new customer (as in less-than-one-month), with a "new" Cisco Business Wireless Gateway deployed by the installer.

It's been giving me grief at a hardware level, unable to assign /view DHCP, multiple T3 Gateway timeouts, etc. so I went searching for solutions.

I found two items of interest on the Cisco main site (where the business devices list Comcast Business Devices points me).

One is fairly old, but alludes to multiple reports of the same issue I see here in the forums:

DHCP Devices not visible

The other is even older, but really leaves me wondering as it was a result of a search for "DPC3941B" via the Cisco site.  This modem is considered a "Residential Video Gateway" and the Support site page for those (where I was looking for possible firmware release notes, etc.) goes to this link:

Video Connected Devices

From the Technicolor site, I see that these devices have not been "in support" since mid-2016 (presuming they're the same??  Hard to tell...)

and that the latest devices are definetely no longer made by Cisco: Techicolor Cable Modems.

So, what's the real answer?  No idea.

What I do know is that apparently the modem deployed to me is either no longer made or supported by Cisco (therefore "New-Old-Stock?) and seems to have multiple reported issues that are not being addressed due to the lack of technical support by Cisco.

Any thoughts from the Community?  Comments or brickbats from Comcast?  Did I completely miss something due to a re-issue of model number and it really is still supported by the manufacturer?

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

Hi evazquez00 and welcome to the business forums.

i would like to assist with the issues you're having with your gateway. Please private message me your full name, the full service address and the phone number associated with the account.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

would have to agree DPC3941B is a aged / discontinued device and was when i got Biz service. Would be nice to see some new devices and non wireless gateways would be nice also. Its silly to have to turn have of everything in there provided gateway to passthru mode. I would also bet they force you to use there devices so in hopes you dont find all the stuff turned on in your account in which they never tell you it is and announcing you as a wi-fi hotspot.  Speed is ok could be better  less lag and better ping would be great  we are now looking to move office to grab fiber connection.

and people the 4g back up internet if you value your data wireless is a no no Period. Get a dual wan device and a 2nd hard line service if you need a redundant internet connection. And always set up a wireless net seprate from your main office net you dont know how many companys in the area and thru the US there device's are open for anyone to grab. Even sign into there device becasue comcast leaves the default passwd for gateway. again this is a no no people change your passwd on your device if they need access for updates you can set it back to default for a period of time then change it again from default.

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

6 years ago

I am happy to address any internet and equipment concerns. Can you please reach out through private message with the name, address and phone number on the account?