Skip to content
ralfwolf's profile

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

Wed, Mar 18, 2020 3:00 PM

Using my own modem and router with static IPs

I would like to replace this router with my own modem+router but as I understand it, this is not possible because I have static IPs.  Please confirm that is the case.  I find it rediculous that a business class internet service doesn't have the option to provision static IPs using my own device.  The gateway provided doesn't provide the all of the features I need and does not allow me to manage it through cli which I require.  Do you anticipate this changing in the near future because if not, I will be forced to start looking for alternative providers moving forward?

Official Employee

• 

521 Messages

2 y ago

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us through our business forums regarding your modem and static IP. As a business customer with us, you do always have the option to use your own modem. This link will provide you with more information on the modems that can be used with your services. https://comca.st/2WrOu5w. To properly support our static Ip services for you, it is required that the modem be leased so that we can program the static, manage and maintain the IP address. So if you do purchase your own modem your static Ip addresses would not work. Does this help to address your questions and concerns?

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

2 y ago

This really doesn't address my concerns because as I said earlier, I want to use my own equipment with my static IPs.  There is nothing special or magical about the block of static IPs I've been assigned.  It is a standard 8 address (3 bit) block which has a upstream gateway.  If comcast uses some form of tunnelling like GRE, IPsec, PPPoE, that's fine but be transparent about it so I can choose if I want to get my own equipment or lease.  There is absolutely no technical reason why this should require me to lease a comcast router.  It is, however, an excuse for Comcast to charge extra for a router that I don't want or need.  BTW, I am already being charged for static IPs separately so the fact that I don't have the option of using my own equipment with my static IPs means my static IPs costs a lot more than advertized which is borderline fraudulent.

New Contributor

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

ralfwolf,

What did you end up doing about this? I own a business and I'm having the same issue. Very frustrating.

Official Employee

• 

22 Messages

Hey @user_85d592, thank you for making this comment! At this time, if you want to utilize a Static IP with us, you would need to utilize one of our IP Gateways for proper access as we don't support Static IP with third party modems. A static IP address is manually configured to help prevent the IP address from changing, and this is something with do directly on our side. We don't have the ability to offer that same support with third party modems as we have limited access, so this would be why you would be unable to utilize your own modem along with a Static IP. As mentioned previously, you do still have total freedom to use your own modem to access your internet service, it just wouldn't offer the ability to also use Static IP. Please me know what additional question you may have!