Skip to content
bigmouth's profile

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, May 7th, 2015 8:00 PM

Settings

Decidedly underdeveloped in terms of my tech saviness.... Smiley Happy  Purchased a POS software/production management package for my business.  One of the features is to be able to send quotes, invoices, and proofs to clients and team members via my emai server.  The program asks for my SMTP mail server and SMTP port settings.  I use the desktop version of Outlook via Microsoft 365.  According to Microsoft, the settings are supposed to be "smtp.office365.com", and "587".  However, when I enter those settings, I get an error message "Unrecognized authentication type".  I received the following link from Microsoft to try to solve the issue by "setting up a relay"; https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn554323.aspx.  I tried those settings, including changing the port to "25", and also changing it to "465".  No luck.  More time with software company tech support - - still not working correctly.  Told that the issue is with my service provider.  Yes/No?  Any help appreciated.  

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

Well, the message "Unrecognized authentication type" implies to me a password-related failure; can the POS program let you enter an email address & password? Typically, online mail services (Outlook.com, Gmail, etc.) require you to have a valid email account to send mail using their servers. This is done to cut down on spam. In any case, this is likely NOT related to your Comcast service.

There are also various encryption protocols that email uses (SSL versions 1/2/3, TLS version 1.0/1.1/1.2). You will need to use the same protocol that Office 365 is using; using a mismatched protocol might result in the given error message. I don't know what protocol they've selected, but some Google searching might reveal it. Again, your POS software must give you the option to set this protocol.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello bigmouth and welcome,

If you are using your Comcast business class portal (BCP) email address then you must log into your BCP administrator email address, then under Manage Services, Email, click the View DNS Settings. This dispay will provide you the POP and SMTP address settings that are required for you to use your BCP email address.

The standard POP ports are 995 (or 993 for IMAP) and SMTP 587 (inNet) and 465 (outNet). The Comcast SMTP alwas uses SSL authenticate protocol and Port 25 is blocked by Comcast due to the recent industry email port hacking issue.

Hope this helps you out.