Skip to content
cmchittom's profile

New problem solver

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 3:00 PM

incorrect static IP after modem reset

I reset my modem because I'd forgotten the password.  Now it's pulling down something other than my account's static IP.  Can this be set correctly for me?  What do I need to do?

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

Hello cmchittom and welcome to the support forums. 

I can certainly assist with your static IP. Please private message me your account number and the name of your business.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks, Phil.  I ended up calling in to the support line last night, and got squared away in a few minutes.   Mark this one off your list.  🙂

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

Glad you got this addressed. I'll have that marked off right away. Please let me know if you need anything. 

Accepted Solution

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

On 9/12/17 we experienced a strange issue with our Comcast Business service with Static IP, which we have had for years.  We have multiple servers in house hosting our business DB and a website with 30 employees and other external users and use a SonicWall firewall with VPN.  Initially we were experiencing some major fluctuations in our Internet speed.  I called Comcast and the tech (Edward) said his information showed that our modem has been up for 52-days and recommended we reset it.  He recommended powering it down for 10-seconds and then powering it back up.  We have done this before during business hours and it only temporarily interrupted our Internet connectivity, so we were okay to do it again.  With Edward on the phone we powered down the Comcast modem and 10 seconds later powered it back up.  This time we lost all inbound and outbound connectivity.  Of course, Comcast (Edward) said everything was fine on their end.  I had to end the call so I could figure out what was going on.  We power cycled all of our switches, including our SonicWall appliance, with no luck.  I eventually plugged directly into the Comcast modem and tried to access the gateway we were using and was unable to.  I then changed my setting to DHCP on my laptop and got connectivity.  I checked the gateway and it was totally different from what we were using.  I then temporarily changed our SonicWall appliance to DHCP for outbound connectivity.  The disruption lasted for an hour.  I called Comcast (Carol) and once again was told everything was fine on their end.  I told her what our Static IP was and she said it did not match with what they have on file.  She emailed me what Comcast shows as our static IP information, which was totally different from what we have been using for everything.  Meanwhile, our Comcast modem is 7-years old.  Early on I questioned whether or not we should replace it.  Comcast (Carol) said I could take it to one of there customer centers and replace it.  I told her we are a business and can't just close down for a few hours to do this - amazing!  

How the static IP address that we have been using for years suddenly changed - no one will say.  Very disappointed.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

Hi Rx and welcome to the support forums.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to review your gateway and static IP. Please private message me your account number, your business name, your previous static IP address and the new one you have now.