Skip to content
vernonls's profile

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, January 15th, 2017 7:00 AM

dpc3941b router can I use both the private lan and my 5 static IP addresses

I recently had a business install from comcast.  I purchased 5 static IP addresses.  The router came preconfigured to do routing to a private 10.1.10.x network using dhcp. That works fine.  Can I also use the 5 provided static public IP addresses (something like 98.234.x.x) that I purchased without losing the private lan? 

I know how to configure a PC with a static IP using a gateway, mask and specifying the dns servers?  Are both features available or must I put the router into bridge mode and thus lose the private network?  Many thanks to anyone who can answer this question.  Vern

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

OK, now I can answer my own question. Yes, you can use both the 5 static IP addresses and the private 10.1.10.x network with a dhcp server.  The wifi network only works on the private network.  In my case, I turned the wifi off, and turned off the dhcp.  then I connected an orbi router to the comcast router with the static address and turned on the dhcp server there and used it to feed my network.  I also used the orbi router wifi network including the guest network.  Wonderful solution giving my a secur private lan, a static public ip address range for my vendors or servers and both a wireless lan for my internal users and a separate wifi network for guests. 

I dunno why it was so hard to find the answer to this question, but I am pleased to be able to help others with the same question.

vern

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

If comcast installed the modem then it should have worked or you should call the installer back. If you elected to do your own install, you probably first have to connect the router the cable, then follow the instructions for registering the modem with comcast before it will work.  my experience is that the automatic registration never works and you have spend time on the phone with the comcast registration people to get it set up.  Once it is set up, you should first test the built in default private lan address of 10.1.10.1 to make sure you have connectivity.  Then try giving your PC one of the static IP addresses that you were assigned including the gateway, mask and the standard dns servers that comcast uses.  Try that and please post the results.  good luck, vern

New problem solver

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I'm also a new customer who purchased 5 static IPv4 addresses and was given a DPC3941B modem/router. The out of the box configuration doesn't work with a static IP block. There doesn't seem to be any guidance on working with a static IP block.

Comcast_John posted something about static IPs, but it's not helpful in this matter http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Domain-Names-Static-IP/Static-IP-Configuration/td-p/21263

The guide he linked to says nothing about blocks of static IP adresses https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-business-ip-gateway-static-firewall/

New Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

Comcast [Edited: "Language"]! Can't wait to get KPUD fiber...

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

We'd appreciate the opportunity to turn this feeling around, @user_4418d4. How can we help?