Skip to content
tm's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, April 5th, 2015 9:00 AM

Cannot Bring Existing Domain due to semicolon in Comcast-required CNAME

I'm trying to "Bring Existing Domain". I've been waiting at the Domain Verification step for weeks, only to discover today that the CNAME which Comcast is requiring is NOT ALLOWED at the current SOA-source for the domain. They don't like the semicolon in the CNAME source, and their interface flatly disallows it with the error message: "Name of CNAME records may not contain special characters expect the dash (-)." What are the options for getting past this point?

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello tm and welcome,

Not sure what you are referring to wrt Comcast requiring a CNAM record with a semi-colon because this is never has been the case. Please following these specific instructions to bring in yoru existing domain

Hope this helps you out.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the response and suggestion. In fact, I did follow those directions, and that is where the problem arose. This is where I am in that process: 1) Enter your domain name COMPLETED 2) Change the canonical name alias NOT COMPLETED Step 2 has these instructions: Sign in to your other hosting provider's DNS management page. Enter the following canonical name alias: Source alias: QY;YQ Target value: fubar.comcastbiz.net The soce alias I'm being instructed to use has a semicolon embedded in it. That is the problem.

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Post moved for better visibility.