Skip to content
train_wreck's profile

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

Thursday, December 11th, 2014 4:00 PM

Why are static IP prices going up by $5?

Sorry to be a thorn in the side yet again but......

Can someone explain to me why the prices of static IPs are going up (again)? What "maintenance costs" are there for static IPs, that result in Comcast needing to charge more for them?

http://businesshelp.comcast.com/help-and-support/accounts-billing/comcast-business-price-change-2015

Accepted Solution

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

10 years ago

You don't want to talk to an inside sales rep.  You want to talk to an outside sales rep.  Customer service should provide you with a name of an outside sales rep that handles your territory. There's a vast difference...

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hey train_wreck,

Please see the information at this link for all price increases starting Dec 20, 2014. If I get anything further I will share it here.

Regards, 

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Oh, and I forgot they also jacked up the modem rental fee a bit ago -- convenient, since if you have a static IP they support NO modems that you can purchase on your own to avoid paying to rent Comcast's crappy modems.  Just another Comcast extortion.

Contributor

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

The truth is, because Comcast wants another $5 a month.  There is NO other reason.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

10 years ago

My advice is contact your local small business rep.  if you bought your business service via a rep. it is likely it was sold under a contract that fixed the price.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

I don't have a "local" small business rep; I signed up for service over the phone, and the sales rep's "personal" contact number stopped working a few months after activating service.

The fine print of my contract clearly exempts any and all additional fees from the price lock. Don't remember where, but it's there. So this isn't technically a "breach" of contract, unfortunately.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

10 years ago

The comcast business contract is here:

http://business.comcast.com/terms-conditions-smb

If you click on the link referenced for contracts signed after 2013 you get another document with this phrasing:

"...Except as otherwise indicated herein or on the applicable Service Order(s), monthly recurring charges for Internet Services shall not increase during the initial Service Term..."

The static IP is an internet service so I'm pretty sure your covered.  After all what's the point of even offering or signing a contract if the price is subject to change during the contract term.

It does allow them to up the rental charge which is kind of a bit of a trick but they only raised it $3 a month.

My best guess is you were on a 1 year contract and it expired before the price increase.  I still would advise finding a local sales rep.  If your off contract maybe he would renew your last one and shield you from the increase on the static.

I'll admit the local small business sales reps do tend to come and go.  But that's true of most of these sales positions, they don't tend to pay a lot, they pay on comission, and the market in most places is pretty well saturated anyway.  These SMB sales reps main job is stealing customers from other ISPs. 😉

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

@tmittelstaedt wrote:

My best guess is you were on a 1 year contract and it expired before the price increase.

Nope, 3 year signed on 2/8/2013.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

10 years ago

then you should not see an increase.  I didn't. Is your contract different than what is listed in the link I posted?

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

No, my contract doesn't look anything like that; those look like general terms of service, my contract is a legal-looking document with only brief information about terms, and doesn't have a link to that website page.

I did get the notice on my last bill:

bill.png

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I just signed a 3-year agreement for Static IP at $14.95 per month on 3/11/14 and didn't get installed until mid-August, 2014. Static IP is the only service that I wanted.  And they pull this?  Right in the middle of the holiday season when everybody is truly focused on the fine print of their billings?  I see nothing in the T's & C's about Comcast having the opportunity to adjust service fees during this contract period because they aren't making enough $ or because they want to "standardize the cost" = make $?

I can understand Comcast adjustments when I'm outside of my contract period or when the government imposes more fees on them to fatten their coffers, but I can't wrap my head around this.  This agreement has nothing to do with me, the customer.  It is an agreement for Comcast to turn on the switch, bill me as they see fit, and hold their finger over the switch if I don't stay in the back seat and behave.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Danger, et al and welcome,

In both Article 3.1 and 4.3 of the Business Terms and Conditions, you will observe where Comcast is able to make fee adjustments to those non-service (i.e. Cable TV, Internet, or Telephone) direct specific aspects. The static IP is a speciality facility that is not directly tied to the actual Internet service. This also goes along the same lines for entities such as the broadcast fees, root sport fees, toll free fees, etc.

Hope this helps you out.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Rich and thanks for your message.  You are responding as if in a position of authority suggesting that you are a Comcast employee.  That is good.

That only contract document that I've received, reviewed, and signed was from the Comcast Business Sales representative.  It was an emailed 4-page Business Service Order Agreement v20.  There are no articles 3.1 or 4.3 in the document or identified in the written text of the agreement terms.  My contract specifically identifies the selection of Static IP at $14.95 as an option to my Business Internet for a period term of 3 years.

The only other documentation that I've received from Comcast is a Welcome Package from the technician and bills.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you're throwing out t's and c's that don't exist on the contract?  Please do your research and get back to me.  And please don't tell me that I should have gone to some obscure web link and read other buried t's and c's not presented on my contract...this is about agreed-to pricing and not bait-and-switch.  Thank you.  Danger. 

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

10 years ago

He may be looking at the residential contract stuff.

I have signed many telco contracts and for at least the last decade (if not longer) they have ALL referenced URLs for the T&Cs.

This is done for obvious reasons.  If they want to change T&C they can do so without having everyone re-sign.

But, the standard practice in the industry is to go with the T&C in force when the contract is signed.

So a contract may refer to a T&C that is on a site - the telco changes that T&C later on - but the changes ONLY go into effect on the RENEWAL date of the contract.

You need to talk to your sales rep.  Plain and simple.  I will repeat what i said earlier - I'm also on contract and my static IP charge did not increase - only the modem rental.  As per contract T&C terms which I posted to this thread earlier.

The other poster may mean well and may even be a Comcast employee but unless he's in the sales group he is NOT going to know squat about their contracts.  I highly doubt any Comcast sales reps. frequent a technical forum like this so please don't beat our tech support people over the head with something they aren't even likely authorized to talk about.

Talk to your sales rep.  He or she ain't here!!!

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks tmittelstaedt.  Already emailed and left messages with the Sales rep and his Manager.  Manager emailed me back advising sales rep to correct situation.  Sales rep is not responding...so far.  Will keep working the edges.  Danger