Skip to content
Latitude42's profile

New problem solver

• 

30 Messages

Thursday, January 14th, 2016 1:00 PM

Using Comcast Business SMTP as an outbound Smarthost

I am a Comcast Business customer with one static IP address. My LAN is controlled by a Cisco RV325 VPN/VLAN appliance. What I want to do is implement a cron job on a Raspberry Pi that monitors a critical server elsewhere on my LAN and sends emails to maintainers in the outside world in the event of trouble. I have created and maintained Linux mail services on a small scale elsewhere (some postfix, some exim4)  so I know the basics. I have never done it here on Comcast Business.

So, this is very straightforward. I just want, on RARE occasions, to send a VERY FEW emails outbound only to be handled by Comcast Business SMTP using my existing admin@mmphmmph.comcastbiz.net account and password. I believe this technique is called SMTP Smarthost relay. I would like to know whether Comcast Business permits it, and if so, what do I need for configuration parameters for exim4 mail transfer agent on my Raspberry Pi.

I am aware there are posts in the Connectivity forum on this topic, but the ones I see are looking for remedies for something that wasn't working right.  I am just looking for a straightforward yes/no, and if yes, then the exim4 configuration settings would be great.

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

If you have an email on the Comcast mailserver then yes, however the FROM address MUST match the Comcast email address assigned.

You can send mails from admin@mmphmmph.comcastbiz.net  you can't send them from hojo@mmphmmph.comcastbiz.net 

You must also use auth-smtp

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am not having success with sending from an on-premise device, even using the Primary Account holders Comcast business login as the sender and the authenicator using port 587 and auth-smtp.  Any ideas?

Thank you,