Skip to content
vanguard117's profile

Occasional Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, February 7th, 2017 1:00 PM

Modem resets every 20 minutes

We have a Netgear CG3000DCR and for a couple of weeks now it has been resetting itself like clockwork every 20 minutes. I have a tech coming out today but is there anyone that has experienced this problem before? It doesn't seem to be random but happens at the exact same time frame every 19 or 20 minutes.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

8 years ago

One thing I would recommend to rule out the modem is to bypass the switches and have a device directly connected to the modem and see if it drops connection. 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

8 years ago

Are you directly connected into the modem or are you going through a router or switch? 

Occasional Visitor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I would have to do it after hours as people here need to be connected during the day. As of right now, it has been connected for the past 30 minutes or so with no resets. Do you have any suggestions as to what could cause this to happen? Maybe a single person or device? Too much network traffic? It would be very difficult to troubleshoot each individual device as we have over 100 connected at any one time.

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

8 years ago

Hello vanguard117,

How did the tech visit go? 

Occasional Visitor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Through a switch. The modem plugs into a switch which is connected to 5 other switches that service different areas of our building.

Occasional Visitor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Hi Jacob,

The tech came out and put in a new router. He split the signal and left the old one there to so he can monitor it from his end. Everything was fine from Tuesday on through today until just a few minutes ago. The router started to suddenly reset again but this time it would come back up and then reset immediately. I'm really at a loss of what to do and I am not sure as to what could be the issue? If it is indeed something on 'our end' what could cause something like this to happen?

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

8 years ago

I doubt it's a single device, it could be the switch or a setting in the switch that could be causing the resets. The best way to check is when everything drops just plus a laptop into the modem and see if you can connect when everything else is off. 

Occasional Visitor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Just to give an update:

The router still resets itself. It happens about once or twice a day at random times and will continue to reset itself for about 6 or 7 minutes and then it will be fine. On another forum, a tech said that a modem resetting itself is usually due to a hardware issue or the router not being able to handle the number of users. Do you happen to know the user capacity for my router?