Skip to content
Chase-Turner's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, March 13th, 2014 7:00 PM

Comcast asserts that business customers connect a *single* computer in IPv6 space

IPv6 address space translates to rougly 47,000 unique IPv6 addresses per square foot on the face of the Earth.  And Comcast is proudly announcing 25% of its customers have been migrated to IPv6.   

And so, WHY is Comcast lamely defaulting my business-class internet service connection to a *single* IPv6 address by issuing me a /128 delegated IPv6 prefix, rather than the *normal and expected* /64 ?  And when I call Business-class technical service to ask for the /64, I am told it might take 48 hours after it goes through several departments -- to reach a small handful of individuals who can actually make the change?

Unbelievable.

"[Comcast] will allocate a single IPv6 address (/128), since we know that only a single device is connecting, with no additional need to sub-net. We plan to continue to assess address allocation policies as we deploy, particularly given how very new IPv6 is from an operational standpoint globally." -- see http://www.comcast6.net/index.php/ipv6-deployment-faq

Accepted Solution

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

11 years ago

It could be the state of IPv6 deployment in your area.  It could also be that multiple end systems are supported by Prefix Delegation (DHCP-PD) to your local LAN with a single dynamically assigned  /128 for the router WAN port..  Your local router may not understand this or may not be requesting the local prefix. Note that /128 is not a prefix in itself, but rather a complete IPv6 address as used on point-to-point links.

For reference, I have been running IPv6 on multiple end systems using an Apple Airport Extreme (5th Gen) for fourteen months, so far with no problems. (See http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Configure-Native-IPv6-with-Apple-Airport-Extreme/m-p/8267#M1003 

So, it could be IPv6 availability, or, it could be your connecting equipment.

Problem solver

• 

305 Messages

11 years ago

Likely just because IPv6 is still rolling out. I imagine they want observe how the whole process goes and how much demand is needed before allowing customers to full make the switch. They mentioned IPv6 plans could be delayed or even disabled during this process.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Comcast technical support has told me that "FCC regulations prevent Comcast from issuing dynamic IPv6 assignments with /64 prefixes".  I have faxed an inquiry to Comcast Legal Compliance at (866) 947-5587 to ask them for the policy and / or technical reason why it is impossible for Comcast to issue me a dynamic IPv6 assignment with a /64.  IF Comcast continues on this theme in writing, I'm looking forward to posting the Comcast response on https://www.nanog.org .

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your response.  Understand that last year, I *had* a dynamic IPv6 address with /64 delegated prefix, but a recent change in my WAN side MAC address connecting to the broadband modem changed my dynamic IPv4 assignment from Comcast .. and the previous IPv6 with delegated /64 was lost.

Comcast6.net continues to report "CMTS is ready for IPv6".

BUT what is most troubling are the confused responses from Comcast.  The answers range from "you own your own equipment and thus, Comcast cannot configure your DOCSIS 3.0 modem for you" to "you are a business class customer.  Unless you have a static IP address, Comcast will not assign you a dynamic IPv6 address". 

But the worst of all is asking those Comcast represenatives -- "please put your explaination in writing so I am clear as to your answer", they refuse to do so.  And when I offer to fax them a copy of what they are saying to me so they can verify I heard them correctly, they decline that as well.  This is deeply disturbing to me -- as a business class customer -- that my business partner cannot go on record -- in any medium -- to explain why my request goes unfulfilled for 15+ business days now....

New Contributor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@Chase-Turner wrote:

Comcast technical support has told me that "FCC regulations prevent Comcast from issuing dynamic IPv6 assignments with /64 prefixes".  I have faxed an inquiry to Comcast Legal Compliance at (866) 947-5587 to ask them for the policy and / or technical reason why it is impossible for Comcast to issue me a dynamic IPv6 assignment with a /64.  IF Comcast continues on this theme in writing, I'm looking forward to posting the Comcast response on https://www.nanog.org .

To put this nicely, whoever you talked to is flat out wrong and making poop up.  I have, right now, a comcast business modem with a /64 issued to it.  I know serveral residential customers who have the exact same.  This is simply a case of completely inept front line support.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your response here.  My update here is the unexpected flurry of calls I received from Comcast yesterday, apparently stimulated by my recent submisison to the FCC of my written letter to Comcast Legal Compliance of March 2014 where I ask 'what is the business policy or technical reason that prevents Comcast from assigning my equipment with a dynamic IPv6 with a /64 delegated prefix?

Calls came from the Business team exeuctive office, two level 2 technicians from Comcast Business and one level 2 (or senior?) technician from Comcast Security Assurance. 

Comments made by the Comcast technical represenatives include:

- 'why do you want a /64 prefix?  Do you realize that is alot of addressess?  Why do you need so many IPv6 addresses?''

- 'you are asking for something no one else is getting'

- 'you are not leasing a modem from Comcast.  Comcast cannot log into your modem to provision it.'

- 'we have told you it is not possible to have a /64.  Your continued refusal to accept our answer here could be viewed as harrassment'

- 'please forward whatever documents you have proving you had a dynamic IPv6 with a /64, and that your neighbors have a IPv6 with a /48 prefix'

- 'Comcast will not respond to your request in writing.  You will have to contact Comcast Legal if you are not satisfied with what I told you'

-'My colleague (via Instant chat) suggests you can assign a /64 on your IPv6 link-local for the LAN, and apply NAT with the IPv6 /128 you are currently assigned.'

I'm not signaling here I am a deep expert on IPv6, but the range of fantastical explainations and indifferent pushback I recieve from Comcast Business Technical support (and whomever they communicate via Instant Chat) are neither a business policy nor technical reasoning that makes sense.

A brief recap of the facts:

- I have a business level service account with Comcast.

- I do not lease a broadband modem from Comcast; I own a Comcast approved for use Surfboard SB6140.

- I do not pay Comcast for a static IPv4 address.

- www,comcast6.net has stated my CMTS is IPv6 enabled -- for almost two years I believe

- A year or more ago, I had a dynamic IPv6 with a delgated /64 using my SB6140.  When I changed the connecting firewall, the MAC address changed and that assignment was replaced with a dynamic IPv6 with a /128 prefix.

- A few weeks ago, I sampled nearby neighbors with residental Comcast service.  Their dynamic IPv6 assignment had a /48 prefix.

- The assignment I am currently receiving from Comcast is 2001:558:6014:35:7515:c065:c518:ccd7 with a /128 prefix