Skip to content
jlg4554's profile

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 6:00 AM

Closed

169.xxx.xxx.xxx Ip Adresses

Im having issues with clients connected to out guest network. We recently changed our comcast wireless gateway for a comcast modem no wireless. We manage our wireless conections via 2 access points.But since like 2 weeks ago we are having issues with some devices not connecting to router/modem or not getting an ip address from device appering on device 169.xxx.xxx.xxx addres. This is a guest network for our customers, thisis a bug facility and average 80 devices/clients connecting everyday.We have 493 known devices/clients on the last week only. Comcast changed the gateway from wireless (since we dont use the wireless featuress anyway) to a modem/router only. They said the issue was that the previous gateway "wasnt pinging ipv4 addressess" thats afected old iphone and android phones? After changing we have no issues for like 5 days, and again many devices start having issues obtaining an ip adddress from modem/router showing wireless connection but with autoasigned ip address starting 169.xxx.xxx.xxx do anybody can have some insigth on this?Thanks

We have another exact modem/router with 4 access points, same brand same configuration, but with only 60 known devices / clients working perfect, thats why we think the ammount of users saved on router could be an issue??

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

7 years ago

Hello jlg4554 and welcome to forums.

In trying to isolate this issue for you I have a few questions. Do you have a DHCP server to handle IP addressing or is this being handled by your wireless router. If this is being handled by your router and not a server, do you know the limits of how many devices can connect wireless? Please provide us with more information so we help find a solution for you.

Thank You

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I find a solution. The ip addresses are handed out by comcast router only, wireless access points dont do this just provide wireless connections.

I noticed that the comcast router was preconfigured to renew lease every week. I changed this to be renewed every 24 hours and it seems now working fine.

Since it was a week renewal after 3 or 4 days the comcast router is out of ip addresses to give.

I think is working fine now.

1 Message

@jlg4554​ where is that setting as I am having same issue?, I mean where is the auto renewal setup in the modem/router page 

Official Employee

• 

26 Messages

Hey there, @user_46d263! You would be able to locate the settings, and follow the steps here to update the lease time. Please let us know if you have any further questions/concerns.  https://business.comcast.com/support/article/internet/comcast-business-static-ip-local-area-network

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

7 years ago

I am glad to hear that you got this issue resolved. Please feel free to post or message if you have any other questions.

Thank You