Skip to content
majorkong's profile

New problem solver

• 

45 Messages

Monday, February 23rd, 2015 5:00 AM

wifi hotspot fears

Hi there

sorry I ALSO posted this on the account forum because I forgot this special area existed.

I am VERY concerned about using my business password when I am out and about and want to use a comcast wifi hotspot. My concern is how can I tell if it's a REAL comcast hotspot and NOT a spoof. ALSO I am concerned that if someone gets my business user and password problems will arise SO I have two questions:

1 How can I tell if it's a real comcast hotspot

2 can I set up a separate username(s) and password(s) that are associated with my business account that I can use on the hotspot

thanks

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

9 years ago

Hi majorkong.  You can create a email id as a single basic user.  This user would not have any account privileges and the primary account holder will make any changes to that user id.  Here is a link to additional information on user id setup in the Business Portal.

Thank You

New problem solver

• 

45 Messages

9 years ago

Hi there

I am VERY concerned about using my business password when I am out and about and want to use a comcast wifi hotspot. My concern is how can I tell if it's a REAL comcast hotspot and NOT a spoof. ALSO I am concerned that if someone gets my business user and password problems will arise SO I have two questions:

1 How can I tell if it's a real comcast hotspot

2 can I set up a separate username(s) and password(s) that are associated with my business account that I can use on the hotspot

thanks

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello majorkong and welcome,

The xfinitywifi is a secured wifi network. It only works one way and this is to be able to login as a business class email customer, residential email customer, or a none Comcast user customer. You can certainly use any legitimate business class email address and password to log into the xfinitywifi business class email login facility.

Hope this helps you out.

New problem solver

• 

45 Messages

9 years ago

Hey Rich

thanks for the reply and I appreciate it. I am not worried about xfinitywifi ONCE I am logged in it's the logging in that's the problem. A badguy can set up a hotspot OR man in the middle attack and make the page look like you are logging in but they are really getting your creditials. 

I have a business account and am still not sure how I can set up a separate login that ONLY can access the wifi with NO account priviliges at all.

Again thanks for the excellent reply and it filled in part of the picture.

New problem solver

• 

45 Messages

9 years ago

Hey John

GREAT to hear from you again and a pleasure as always. I am a little concerned that I don't know the ramifications of what I have just done. Basically I took your advice and set up a "Service User" on my business account. I "assume" that this user can log into the xfinity hotspot in the loop ( I live in Chicago) and use it BUT anyone snooping can do little with the account and password if they get it AND if anyone changes anything I get an email so I can change the password ( as admin) to stop them using my service?

Is this the case?

thanks

Mkl