Skip to content
Mugz2015's profile

• 

1 Message

Sunday, May 10th, 2015 12:00 PM

What is the difference between Business Comcast and Residential

Right now I am paying $44 a month for Comcast Business and getting 12 Mbps download.  I notice that residential is getting up to 105 Mbps for close to the same amount I am paying.  I signed up with the Comcast Business through my work because I telework on occasions.  The only difference I really see besides the speed is that there is no cap on Comcast Business.  Im I missing something?  I am wondering if I should switch to the residential service?  Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello Mugz2015 and welcome,

Teleworker business account typically have starter internet 16 Mbps down / 3 Mbps up for 69.95. Your basic internet 12 Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up for 44.95 is not a typical Teleworker internet speed. Business Class internet has many important features such as 25GB email account size versus 10 GB residential, as well as, other benefits/limitations as this link provides information on. Comcast only provides Teleworker business class internet that companies pay for and not residential.   

Hope this helps you out

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

49 Messages

9 years ago

Having both residential and business service within a couple miles from each other, the BUSINESS uptime is absolutely terrible compared to my residential.  Just terrible and unacceptable.  Business is also MUCH slower.

I think the only benefit of business, is if you need or want a STATIC ip FROM Comcast which you don't need, as you can get from NO-IP or DynDNS much cheaper etc. (also something about different ports being BLOCKED by comcast depending on the 2).

I guess it depends on your location and what you needs are.  i am small business, 5± employees,  I honestly could just use residential, but I am in a commercial building, so it's the comcast business we're using as I thought it would be better...but it's not.  They also try to say you get a CONSISTENT upload / download speed compared to residential, whichI seriously doubt.  They told me that your residential speed will change depending on the amount of people downloading/uploading in the area... never had a problem like that...still extremely fast... but I definitely have a slow speed using the business one..yeah, consistently SLOOOOW.... that's what is consistent... yeah.... i could pay 3 times more or so for the equiv speed of residential... but we don't need to.

Accepted Solution

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Residential is 150 Mbps for $45. At the office I pay $70 for 16 Mbps. I don't need a static address, nor will I ever reach the residential cap at the office. 

That is $4.38 per Mbps in the office and $0.30 per Mbps at home.

This warrants a criminal investigation by a DA. I am in Boulder CO. 

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Comcast Business is a total rip-off. I paid $115 for two plus years to get 50 mbps. The service was so spotty -- frequent outages, slowness -- that I finally picked up residential service from AT&T to use as a backup. After installation, I did speed tests on both of them. AT&T at $30/mo was consistenty about 22mbps download speeds. Comcast was a paltry 7.5mpbs!

When I called to cancel service, I got the run around. They want me to pay another two months of service AND a $250 cancellation fee. Comcast is losing a customer for life!