Skip to content
Nectar_Nashville's profile

• 

1 Message

Monday, February 24th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Mystery BROADCOM_GUEST WiFi Networks

Hello.  My Comcast Business Router is a Technicolor CGA4131.  I have Gigabit service.  In addition to the usual 2.4 and 5GHz networks this router broadcasts, it is somehow broadcasting six additional open WiFi networks - perhaps three 2.4 and three 5GHz networks.  Although I do utilize an Orbi WiFi6 network, and have security cameras and other gadgets, we have done extensive troubleshooting and have found that these networks remain visible until the router is powered off.  All of these networks appear in our WiFi list as "BROADCOM_GUEST_0_3" (different numbers at the end).  I have located an online manual from Tecnhicolor, which actually shows (Page 64) three 2.4GHz guest networks (and one can presume three 5GHz networks), with a toggle to disable SSID Broadcast.  However, the advice is to possibly access this separate admin portal through 192.168.0.1, which is useless in this case.  The manual can be viewed here:  https://mediacomcc.custhelp.com/euf/assets/documents/modem%20user%20guides/CGA4131_user_guide.pdf

I am curious to know if anyone else has come across this, and can offer a solution for disabling these networks?  My support chat was useless.  Thank you very much.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I am having the same issue with a number of broadcom Wi-Fi activated when I turned on my comcast business internet. How do I get rid of these?

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@user_64179f Thanks for letting us know your concerns. Are you looking to fully disable the guest network, or reduce the number of logins you are seeing? If you are using Wi-Fi pro, this may help! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Contributor

• 

23 Messages

3 years ago

I don't get why a private message and chat are necessary to resolve this. The modem broadcasts these and it should not necessitate a troubleshooting session and individual tickets to resolve. 

Recognized Contributor

• 

27 Messages

I can understand that you are frustrated. We have tried a few things and it doesn't seem like they worked. The troubleshooting is our next best step to help and if we have to, then we can also schedule a tech to come out there for you too. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Contributor

• 

23 Messages

does the tech have a secret login that allows them access to the guest network configuration? Is the guest network configuration a state secret, too dangerous for customers to know about? Or is there just an obvious UI flaw that is embarrassing so gaslighting customers and wasting their time is a better option than publishing a knowledge article.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

@user_7e8b89 From what I have learned, the local tech has no idea what is happening.  They try to debunk the situation but just resort to swapping out the router.  Those of us in technology know that results like this are not 'accidental'.  While they may be part of some test regiment or similar, it's certainly not fully unknown to someone at Comcast - but maybe outside of the service level folks.

My thoughts have been that these wireless networks communicate with other devices meant to only connect to those special networks.  A 'bug' might be revealing networks that were meant to be hidden.  In the early days of Comcast, the 'Xfinity' wifi networks were coming from every subscribers routers without their knowledge.  With all the crazy in the world, I can easily create a narrative that fits such a conspiracy.

If anyone else out there has had a different result with Comcast Support or on-site service, let the rest of us know.  

New Contributor

• 

23 Messages

@hippolips so after tech came out and I proved what was happening, we agreed there was nothing he could do. Tier 2 called me back and started the denials before I could finish a sentence, then without telling me, disabled my wifi so as to "prove" I was lying.
Once I pushed the issue forcefully, describing the evidence, and that a tech witnessed it, what do you know?  Internal sources advised that this was a very rare issue that comes up and a factory reset fixes it. And that it is related to firmware. Imagine that.  Almost like someone told them that 145 times....
Factory reset resolved it, but I still have an open PSC complaint that I am going to push because this is an unacceptable way to treat customers, and there is no excuse for not addressing this.  I have wasted more time on this than I have gotten out of the service. 

(edited)

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

so a factory reset got rid of all braodcom wifi accounts?

New Contributor

• 

23 Messages

3 years ago

BROADCOM_GUEST networks are on the same channel as their respective main networks.