Skip to content
amitramani's profile

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

Wednesday, December 24th, 2014 9:00 AM

Disabling PublicWifi/XFINITY WiFi

After reading the woes of several customers here in the forums, I called Comcast to get the public Wifi disabled. 

The tech support guy at Comcast disabled XFINITY Wifi (Public Wifi) for my gateway. Sure enough, I stopped seeing the xfinitywifi network immediately.

However, after I power cycled the modem (model DPC3939B), the xfinitywifi returned again. I still had the Comcast guy on the phone. He once again disabled the Public WiFi. 

I am hoping the Public Wifi does not return. I hope I do not have to power cycle the modem, because the setting to disable the Public Wifi in the modem is not persistent? I suspect the modem re-enables Public Wifi at every power up. The Comcast guy could not deny that either. 

Is the solution then to use another Comcast  modem without Wifi ? Then use my own Wifi router. 

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello amitramani and welcome,

Both you and train_wreck make valid points about the DPC3939B public wifi disablement. However, the next time you or anyone needs to have the 2.4 and 5.0 public wifi disabled, just ask the technical agent to log into the DPC, click edit on each of the 2.4 and 5 channels, then have him uncheck both the Broadcast SSID and WWM parameters, then save these settings. This will make your public wifi be permanently disabled even after rebooting the DPC, until the next DPC FW verison arrives.

Hope this helps the forum out.   

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately yes, at this point there is no way to make the DPC3939B's "xfinitywifi" stay off after a power cycle. There is supposedly a firmware update coming that will fix this. In the meantime, your supposition is true; you should either obtain a non-wifi-enabled Comcast gateway (the Netgear CG3000DCR or the SMCD3G), or purchase your own modem and use your own router (be advised, you cannot purchase your own modem if you have any static IPs)

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Are you sure about that? I asked the Comcast tech if there was a way to disable that from within the Admin interface of the DPC3939B. When I login to the Admin interface via 10.1.10.1, I see the checkbox for Broadcast SSID but nothing for WWM parameters.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I am positive. I believe only Comcast agents are able to edit/disable the public wifi 2.4 and/or 5 channels by the means I previously specified. Please let us know if you were successfuly in doing so from the customer login facility.

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

AS I said when I login to my DPC3939B router/gateway, I do not see anything about WWM parameters. I do see the checkbox for "Broadcast SSID". 

After I had Comcast disable the Public/XFINITYWIFI 3 days ago, I have had NO connectivity issues so far. It has only been 3 days so far, but so far so good. 

I hope I have isolated that XFINITY WiFi was somehow causing my Wifi connetivity to drop periodically. 

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

I am back to Square 1. The XFINITY Wifi Hotspot is enabled again, causing the same connectivity issues as before. 

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

It is a big joke how they are handling this.  I called in and spoke with one rep that disabled it for me (this was after I used the local cusadmin and disabled through the cusotmer account portal).  It XFINITY SSID re-appeared a few minutes later.  I called in yet again, and now they are telling me they can't disable it.  Asked for a supervisor, he is stating that it isn't possible, and it must be turned off now.  He blames it on my neighbors, yet if I power cycle my modem, they 'mysteriously' vanish. 

Why does it have to be this hard?