Skip to content
lidofido's profile

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 3:00 PM

Cannot turn off Business Private Wifi (not the xfinity / public access wifi)

The public access I could easily disable and it's indeed off (after checking wifi scans).

However whenever I try and idsable the business private wifi, I get an error on the web interface that says "We're sorry, but we are not able to update your information at this time." I'd like to disable both the 2.4 and 5 ghz radios because we don't use them, and they take up valuable channel real estate in our very densely populated office; we already have a very well-thought out Wifi network that takes into account occlusion, channels, and coverage.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Yes, if your DPC is in "True Bridge Mode" then all routing is disabled and this should actually include your wifi because this operates from and interconnected with the internal DHCP server.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello lidofido and welcome,

If you are loggin into the DPC user interface using 10.1.10.1, go to the wifi link, then click edit button on each 2.4 and 5 and uncheck both broadcast and wwp radio buttons, click save and this will disable your private wifi.

Hope this helps you out. 

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that both interfaces (2.4 and 5) are grayed out in the web UI and unable to be changed. I'm not sure if this is because the modem is in bridge mode or if the config is just locked. I know wifi isn't supposed to be active with bridge mode on, but all the scanners I've run indicate it's on; the SSIDs / BSSIDs listed in that page match the scanner results. I'd log into them just to see what happens, but I don't know what the wifi passwords are set to.

I'm guessing I'll have to call up support to have it fixed.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

Go to the hardware store and buy metal window screen.  (NOT the screen that is plastic flexible stuff)

Wrap the Cisco BWG in the screen, you can use a paper stapler to hold it together.  You can make a box out of the window screen then put the BWG inside it.

Ground the screen to an Earth ground.  (grounded tab on electrical outlet, or copper rod driven into the ground)

That will take care of the problem

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

You know I might do this anyway; I have another device which handles VPN connectivity to my office and they can turn the buil-in wifi to the lowest power, but they can't turn it off completely.