Skip to content
U

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, April 23rd, 2021 4:21 PM

VoicedEdge Softphone Alternatives

After getting bounced around calls a number of times looking for SIP information to use for a 3rd party softphone app, I received an engineer who said that information is not given out and that comcast does not allow the use of any other Softphone application other than the VoiceEdge app.  I wanted to post to clarify this, is comcast indeed not allowing any Business VoiceEdge customer to use ANY other softphone application with their business VoiceEdge lines?  We have been unhappy with the functionality of the VoiceEdge app for some time, and have used the old ComcastSoftphone App (Slightly better) to get us by until it was discontinued today.  We are looking for an alternatives but find it alarming that we are being held captive to only using VoiceEdge app..

Could someone from Comcast please confirm this, and if so, explain why?

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Bump.  Thoughts from Comcast?

New problem solver

• 

71 Messages

@user_a2abfa Hey there! Sorry to learn the feedback about the VoiceEdge app. What are some of the issues that are causing this feedback? Then we can see if we can help make the experience better. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Well my primary question is I'm looking to use a different 3rd party softphone and am looking for that information on feasability and whether or not it's possible, as I was told it is not an option..

But since you're looking for specifics, I have had numerous issues as well as just design choices that are not configurable. 

1.  I frequently call numbers with directory choices where you hit buttons to enter different menus, and frequently experience where entering through the keypad or the keyboard during these menus does not register on the call.  The buttons appear to depress but do nothing

2.  When a direct call comes in, the VoiceEdge app maximizes on my screen immediately.  This blocks and covers whatever work I'm doing, whereas the old ComcastSoftphone utilized the notification tray in the corner as would make sense.  No settings I can find to change that.

3.  When a non-direct call comes in (We have a headhunting group setup), it also does not use any notifications in the notification tray, it merely highlights the taskbar icon.  This is better than spamming the full screen app and setting focus to it, but the icon highlighting is missable when you have other things going on.

4.  The interface is adjustable, but the controls within the app do not adjust, they simply get covered up and add scrollbars, why would a softphone need 3/4 of my screens 1080 res realestate?

5.  Main home screen is not customizable, I cannot remove all of the excess on the main form to make window resizing more possible (Favorites, Recent calls, missed calls, voicemails, etc.).

6.  The VoiceEdge app then displays all incoming calls as best it can when they're not in the address book, but it does not list the number.  It just pulls whatever the caller ID pulls..  So now the incoming call history taking up 3/4 of my screen doesn't show me the number that called.  It frequently just displays "Wireless Caller" and I have to click on the ellipses next to it to see the number.  The call history format is definitely not adjustable through settings.

7.  No way to import contacts via CSV/Datasource.  Unless I'm simply not seeing it, there seems to be no way of importing bulk contacts?  If so, that is a HUGE oversight, the old ComcastSoftphone was capable of importing en masse.  I work for a tech service company, and this ability is crucial with over 1000 contacts.  But as of now, the caller ID is rarely right, the display of incoming calls cannot be changed to show the number, and I can't add all of our contacts in bulk to make it any better..

I'm sure there's more, but this is my quick list if you're looking for ideas for improvement.  But as I mentioned before, my intent is to find out whether we are allowed to use a 3rd party SoftPhone with our Business VoiceEdge lines, and if so where do I acquire the correct SIP Server/Proxy information.  If this is not allowed, then a brief explanation of why, or a link to any agreement terms or licensing documents that specify this is not allowed would be helpful.  Thanks again for your help with us on this matter.

Official Employee

• 

45 Messages

Thank you so much @user_a2abfa for all of your valuable feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to provide that and will be happy to forward it. You are able to use 3rd party equipment with Business Voice Edge services. 

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

So then where would we acquire the SIP connection information to configure a 3rd party Softphone application?  As I mentioned I called support and was bounced around a while and ended up with an engineer that informed me they do not give that information out.  

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Bump..  If this is allowed and possible, where do I get the details from?

New problem solver

• 

71 Messages

@user_a2abfa Just so we're on the same page, the question is how to set up the third party app? 

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

No, my question is where do I acquire the connection details for our Comcast Business setup so I can go and configure a 3rd party app myself.  More specifically, I need the SIP Server, SIP Proxy (If applicable), and the whether or not I need to use my Comcast login or the gibberish SIP username to connect (VoiceEdge does some translation in background so that logging in with my comcast email and password translates into an SIP Username, which I have).  These are standard pieces of information that should be able to be used with any 3rd party Softphone app, not looking for any guidance with a specific Softphone App.

Contributor

• 

49 Messages

OK, thanks for the clarification you can find this information within your business account app or by signing into your Business account online. 

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Any specifics on where within the Business Account Online?  Can't seem to find it.

New problem solver

• 

71 Messages

@user_a2abfa To help make sure we can help the best way possible, could you please send us a private message? Please click on the chat icon in the top right-hand corner and search for Xfinity Support. We'll be able to help.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_a2abfa Were you ever able to get a third party softphone app set up?

..2 years later, and the Voicedge app is still garbage. 🤦‍♂️

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I agree, the voiceedge application sucks to be honest... constantly having to click into the box to dial a number, it causes chrome to hang constantly if you enable the extension, its altogether annoying at the amount of time it takes "waiting to connect" and before passing audio, it tends to irritate the people on the other end into hanging up because you dont even know they are there talking.

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

@Comcast_Jodie how about you just give the information here so thousands of other users who want to do the same can do so?