Security (Norton™ Internet Security)
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Comcast / Norton Business Suite Revisions

Just curious as to whether there is anyplace that I can check for the current Business Suite Version information?

I ask because for some reason Comcast's version of Norton products are crippled and do not offer the Check for Update option that normal Norton products do. Also the Norton Update page does not recognize the Comcast product as being a Norton product and thus will not notify you of updates.

It is rather foolish IMHO not to keep your customers up to date on security matters such as this as infected machines inevitable result in excessive bandwidth usage that could be prevented just by keeping your customers up to date.

Regards,

P.S. Someone with a bit of fore thought may wish to add COMCAST to the Comcast website spell check!

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Re: Comcast / Norton Business Suite Revisions

My apologies to the moderators. I really didn't think this would be such a difficult question to pose.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Coronamaker,

Welcome to the forum.

Please accept apology for the late reply. We will inform our product team of your query. Please check back for updates.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Coronamaker,

To check the current version of the NBS (Norton Business Suite), please open the user interface, then click support, and look for "about". This will tell you the current version of the NBS you are using. 

Additionally NBS automatically updates itself which also major releases.

Thank you once again for your patience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

@Comcast_Jon,

I see you have been jumping  a bit lately with the updates and updated policies. I will try to be gentle here as the matter is still not resolved.

I was originally asking for some place that we could see the current version that Comcast's Norton product was supposed to be at in order to verify that we have the most current product. I am and was fully aware of how to check my own software's version but Comcast offers nothing to compare that to. You see Norton purchased from Norton has an additional menu item when right clicked that gives the user the option to check for a newer version of Norton, not just a Live Update of virus definitions. The Comcast provided Norton products do not have that option hence my desire to be able to look up what was current for Comcast.

Now as to your reply, you state "Additionally NBS automatically updates itself which also major releases." which is simply not true. I have found my version to be out of date on more than one occasion, such as when Norton 360 went to version 6 and as usual Comcast had a delayed release of their version of same. It never Automatically Updated itself I had to go to the Comcast Security products page and download it and install it myself.

By your logic, and provided I am not misunderstanding the latest flurry of comments in this forum, Norton Business Class is now not Norton 360, but Norton Internet Security, and not even that, but Norton Internet Security Online, is that correct?

Well if that is correct, can you tell me why my Norton Business Class still says it is Norton Business Class version 20.2.0.19? I just ran Live Update, and according to you it should have updated to version........ Oh wait, I have no place to find that out do I?

Would the Norton Internet Security Online be considered a "Major Release" or were we just supposed to be trolling these forums waiting for someone to post about it and find out then that there was yet another update?

Maybe you see my point about having some place to find this information as your software most certainly does not automatically perform Major Release Updates, just the virus signature updates which lose some of their value when we are running out of date engines.

And lastly, how hard would it be to send a notification e-mail to Business Class customers at their contact address to notify us of these updates?

Highlighted
Visitor

The current version of NIS is 20.3; however, Norton seems to be having an issue with NIS at this time. Engine updates are failing, and I'm stuck with 20.1. I had 20.2, but had trouble with pulse updates, so I used the Norton removal tool to correct the pulse update issue, re-install, and now I'm stuck with 20.1 two version down. I'm beginning to think Norton was a bad move for Comcast to make, because I never had so much trouble with keeping a antivirus software up-to-date as I did with Norton, and that's not a good thing. When it comes to protection and usability updates are a crucial part of a antivirus software be it engine updates or signature updates. 

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Well, "Updated" to the Norton Internet Security Online, and now version is 20.1.0.24 which is a step backwards I believe.

That said I also lost my Firefox 19 toolbar in the process.

So is NIS Online really behind in versions to the Business Suite I just lost by "Updating" or is there a more current version?

If only there was someplace to check this kind of thing.........................

Highlighted
Visitor

Coronamaker, you can check which version NIS is here, but Norton is on a different schedule with the Comcast NIS.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/bd-p/nis_feedback

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Hey SatinKnight, thansk for the link, Norton has pretty much made their current version available for users to know what is happening. I was making a joking reference to the fact that my Original Post ws about COMCAST doing the same for it's version cycle, but that question has been apparently ignored.

Additionally, I did not appreciate being "Updated" to an older version that lost me my FireFox toolbar. Again, if COMCAST would address my OP, I would have known better and not in fact "BACKDATED" my product.

Highlighted
Visitor

Believe me I know what you are going through as myself is also stuck with 20.1 after once having 20.2. However, Comcast John has answer several of my question in the post link below, but I can't update to 20.2, while waiting for 20.3. The Firefox toolbar was working with 20.2.

http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Security-Norton-Internet/Norton-Business-Class-Version/m-p...

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

SatinKnight I have been watching that thread as well.

I think am just going to copy my Norton Business Suite Installer (20.2) files from a computer that has not been "Updated" and reinstall that until they get up to speed.

Highlighted
Visitor

I had never tried that before, make sure you backup your 'Norton Identity Safe' passwords just in case you have an issue and have to re-install. As of now, I'm using 'Comodo Internet Security' (free), and 'Lastpass' password manager (cloud). It works and no hassle. However, I still would prefer to use NIS.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Noticed that my NIS Online that I left running is now version 20.3.0.36 with FF toolbar working again.

Highlighted
Visitor

That's great! I'll try later. Comodo Internet Security is not working out to well with my setup. Thanks for the heads-up.