Microsoft Communications Services
jspencer
New Contributor

Problems connecting to Exchange servers

We're having a new problem in our offices connecting to Exchange through Outlook. Our systems all worked previously to this week, but now most outlook clients are stuck in a "trying to connect" mode and unable to reach the servers. Accessing email through the web portal works, and accessing it through exchange clients on our phones does as well.

Are there any known outages/problems with the Comcast Exchange provider?

We have an office of 5 people behind the same IP address. Could too many requests from this IP be causing the problem?

Please respond promptly, it is impacting our productivity.

Joe

17 REPLIES 17
Ken_Harper

Re: Problems connecting to Exchange servers

Having a similar problem in a small office. Several Outlook client users suddenly getting stuck in "trying to connect" mode. I would appreciate any assistance Comcast can provide.

Ken Harper

EugeneTech
Visitor

I also can't connect. Just started this morning. Works fine on my phone but I am unable to connect on 2 different computers at 2 different locations. Must be a server issue.

jspencer
New Contributor

Nice to know it's not just us, but also disconcerting that 4+ hours after putting in a support ticket over the phone, as well as posting here, and there is still no response/corrective action. I can hear the ca-chings of lost productivity.

Highlighted
EugeneTech
Visitor

I am back up and running.

0 Kudos
jspencer
New Contributor

I am too. "Huh, it's not working? Just wait half a day. You're not busy, right?"

0 Kudos
ndickinson

Same problem here.  It's been 2 days now and 2 calls to Comcast Business help. The first call I was told this was going to be escalated to a Tier 2 ticket and I would get a call back - got no call back.  I called Comcast Bus help again today and was told I had to contact Outlook as it was their issue and Comcast could not give me a number; I had to look it up on the internet.  I don't see any Outlook tech support number on the internet, and this software was supposedly purchased through Comcast Business anyway; why don't they have an access number for support.

Incredibly frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome ndickinson.  At this time there are no issues on the Comcast mail servers that will inhibit access via the Outlook mail client. We have also verified that the Comcast gateway is not filtering email activity.  Please let us know if you are still having issues.

Thank You

0 Kudos
monetaryjoe

This is a new problem for me - I've been using Sharepoint via Comcast since 2011 with no problems.

Running Outlook 2010.

When I try to print an Outlook 2010 email from my computer (email resides on my local hard drive) to my local printer I get this message:

"The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

I shouldn't need to have any internet connection or be connected to Sharepoint at all to do this.  The emails I want to print were pulled into my Outlook from my Yahoo email account via the Yahoo POP3 server (Sharepoint wasn't involved).

Nevertheless, I am connected to Comcast Sharepoint when I get this message and shared Contacts, for instance, is working.

Are you able to provide any assistance with this?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
chrisdq

I've been having the same problem since March 18th.  Very frustrating!  I can't believe that it is not a Comcast issue?!?!

0 Kudos
chrisdq

Has any of the connection problems been resolved?  if so, how did you fix the problem?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello monetaryjoe,

Welcome to the forum.

That is a very interesting problem, a locally cache email needing exchange connection to print.

This is pointing to a possible profile or filter issue with IP-Gateway smart packet detection.

Filter has been disabled on it now, so please try to do the operation again.

If this does not help, please try creating a test profile with and without any exchange accounts, just your yahoo account.

Thank you

0 Kudos
tk

I am having an issue in Comcast Exchange that just started last week, had this program for ten years and never experienced anything like this.  It is saying that Microsoft Exchange Search is unavailable, which is something we use in our business and is a necessity in order to find multiple old emails within our inbox.  I have called a computer IT person and he said it was through Comcast.  I called Comcast and they pushed me off saying it was a Microsoft software issue and to call them.  I purchase and use this through Comcast and when I called Microsoft they said it was through Comcast.  This is impacting our business productivity as we are unable to find emails, I am very frustrated with how Comcast has handled this and would like assistance to this issue.  If anyone knows a fix for this issue please let me know. The issue is an error message when I try and search in my Comcast Microsoft Exchange Webmail for emails within my inbox.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello tk,

Welcome to the forum.

The community would like to help but can clarify a few items for us?

1. What is the internet browser you are using to access the webmail?

2. Have try using an email client such as Outlook?

3. What is the error message you are getting?

Thank you

0 Kudos
dg-pmi

We've also been having intermittent problems where half the people here can connect just fine, but the other half can't connect at all.  Its happened off and on for years now and unfortunately today is an ON day.

If you try using an email client, it tries connecting for a minute or two and eventually gives up, saying that the connection failed.

If you try logging in to the webmail  directly, it spins its wheels and eventually spits out an Exchange error that the server couldn't be contacted.

Interestingly, if you try logging in with the wrong password, it immediately replies that the password is incorrect.  Its when the login IS correct and it tries contacting the server that it fails.

Its clearly a problem with the Exchange server so we'd all appreciate it if you could get it fixed.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
schandler
Visitor

We are having this same issue. Has anybody been able to resolve?

Attached is a tracert to outlook.com

We are directly connected to the comcast modem. 

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 2.57.11 PM.png

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello schandler,

Sorry for the late reply to your post.

Are you still having issue connecting to our exchange server?

If you are please repost, so we may assist.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager