Microsoft Communications Services
TKO

Outlook 2010 upgrade to Outlook 2013?

Hello!  We are using Outlook 2010 that was downloaded from the Comcast site.  The clients are configured as Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync accounts, running in a Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) environment.   We recently upgraded to Office 2013 which includes Outlook 2013.  Is the Outlook 2010 software that Comcast provides specific to Comcast? Or, can we use the "canned" Outlook 2013 straight from Microsoft the same way?  Any compatibility issues with using the version newer than what Comcast provides?  The objective is to have all the Office products running the same version.  Thanks for your response!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: Outlook 2010 upgrade to Outlook 2013?

TKO-

Most office functionality throughout all of Microsoft's office versions offer backwards compatibility. Try one workstation and note the settings before. It should work without any changes but if it doesn't it will be related to existing problems within your Outlook 2010 installation already.

Any issues can be dealt with as bugs, etc.

Yes you can upgrade but always be mindful of taking notes when dealing with the possibilty of affecting multiple machines.

0 Kudos
TKO

Thank you for your response.  I understand how Microsoft's backward compatibility policy (generally) works.  It is especially interesting when a feature is removed as an "enhancement".  

In my scenario, before testing on a work station or two, I wondered if the version of Outlook 2010 that Comcast offers as a download is somehow modified to their specifications, especially relating to their Exchange environment as opposed to being "off the shelf" Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Trusted Forum Contributor

They are just exchange settings discovered by the autodiscover service they offer. Should function just like a typical exchange installation so the client would not need to be modified in any way.
0 Kudos