Microsoft Communications Services

Forward primary email address or use external email for account-related communications?

SOLVED
michaelsafyan

Forward primary email address or use external email for account-related communications?

Dear Comcast,

I really don't need Outlook or any other God awful software, thank you very much (yeah, if you could make my Internet cheaper by not including Outlook and Sharepoint, I really wish you would). I see that it is possible to create a secondary email address on the account and have that email address forward to an external email, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the primary email address on the account to automatically forward to my Gmail address, the only email address I care to use.

The reason why I want the primary account to forward is because this is the same email address that Comcast uses for contacting me about the account (other than Comcast, no one has or uses my Comcast email address). If it's not possible to forward the primary email on the account, is it possible to setup Comcast to contact me at my GMail address?

Thanks.

klrosson
Visitor

Re: Forward primary email address or use external email for account-related communications?

This is my exact question! Comcast tells us to delete the account before you can create a forward. I tested the theory and succeeded EXCEPT - what about the Primary Account? What happens if I delete the Primary Account.

Two days ago I was told that Tier 2 Support would call yesterday....nada!

It's very difficult to understand why Comcast thinks this is 'customer service'

PS. One more thing, the Comcast Business Portal does not play with any Browser except IE.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Forward primary email address or use external email for account-related communications?

Hello klrosson,

I've have answered this query on your direct thread.

Don't deleted primary account

Thank you

timothy97402

Greetings,

Not entirely Comcast's fault here.  Their business email services are built on top of Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft Outlook E-Mail Client.

THE PROBLEM:

There is no way to forward an Exchange Mailbox on the server.  That is not the way Exchange works.  E-Mail for a given email address is accepted from the outside world and stored there.  You can then access that mailbox via Outlook or Outlook Web Access.  If the email address is actually a a forward or a distribution list, it is forwarded to one or more local Exchange Mailboxes or (external) Contacts.  Comcast does not implement Contacts on the server side.  Your primary account can't be a forward or distribution list anyway.

THE SOLUTION:

If you want a simple mail forward to route all your Comcast email to an external email address then do it in Outlook (free with your account) or use the Outlook Web Accesss on Comcast's web site.  Either way, locate Outlook's "rules" feature and set up a rule to operate on all incoming messages and redirect them to whatever email address you specify.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello timothy97402,

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your kind post!

The community appreciate your contribution and look forward to your continue presence on the forum.

Thank you

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation