Microsoft Communications Services
interra

Comcast business class SMTP IP's poor reputation

Some of the IP's associated with comcast business class SMTP smtp.hmc1.comcast.net has poor reputation. See the following link http://www.senderbase.org/lookup?search_string=76.96.53.14

Due to the poor reputation, GoDaddy is rejecting emails sent using Comcast SMTP. Has anyone else faced this problem? If your company also uses Comcast SMTP and has found a resolution, please let me know.

Shelly

Interra Systems, Inc.

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
gilh799
Contributor

Re: Comcast business class SMTP IP's poor reputation

The reputaion at that link is seen as Neutral.

At http://mxtoolbox.com/User/Dashboard/History.aspx

the IP shows no bad history.

0 Kudos
trblll
Visitor

Our mail server (IP 76.96.107.71) is currently on at least two blacklists - Spamcop and UCEProtectL1. Judging from that link you sent, several Comcast servers have been blacklisted as well, by Spamcop or Spamhaus.

We also  use a major national hosting provider  for web hosting, and we can't send email to our own domains now, which is annoying.

From what I understand, once an IP is on certain blacklists, you either have to pay them to get delisted, or wait a week or whatever until their ban expires. I would think Comcast would have enough money to make this problem go away, but they consider it extortion (which it basically is), so they are probably holding out for some other resolution.

I spoke to someone in Comcast's security dept. yesterday. He said they were trying to resolve it as quickly as possible, but in the meantime, if it's an emergency, just use Gmail or something. Or keep trying to send the message, and after enough failures it may switch over to send from a different server. There are other more convoluted ways to reroute your email if you have access to another server, but probably not worth it in this situation.

I'm surprised it has been going on for more than 24 hours. Hopefully it will be over by Monday....

0 Kudos
gilh799
Contributor

We have had the same problem with that Comcast mail server (IP 76.96.107.71) over the past week and are getting the same response that it is being worked on.

We have found Comcast Webmail uses a different server and does not have the same spam list problem leading to bounces with some of our contacts.

trblll
Visitor

Thank you very much for that information about the webmail servers - that's helpful. I'll tell folks here to switch to webmail for now rather than using their local mail client.

0 Kudos
LadyMachine

Maybe Verizon has a better service after all.

0 Kudos
LadyMachine

This same problem has been happening here at my company with my President's email system since September 30th.  It began with only 1 customer email system rejecting his emails; as of today his emails are now being rejected by 4 customers!!  "SPAMCOP"  Comcast is directly involved and if they cannot figure out how to secure the email's of their Comcast Business Class Customers' who use email as a means of supporting their business among other things, then I think Verizon is worth looking into afterall!!!

0 Kudos
trblll
Visitor

This just keeps getting worse. The mailserver is still blacklisted and now our static IP is blacklisted too, by Spamhaus, SPEM, and SORBS. Tier 1 support seems clueless - told me to fill out the Comcast Postmaster block removal http://postmaster.comcast.net/block-removal-request.html - that's for when *Comcast* is blocking you, not other domains, correct? Talked to security dept. again - they say they're "still working on it". For the individual IP address, they told me I just have to go to each blacklist's website and request delisting. But the SORBS site is down for maintenance and Spamhaus won't delist the static IP because it's in a Comcast IP range.  /facepalm

We just got Google Apps - I'm going to try routing our domain email through their mailservers. Who knows how long this will go on.

0 Kudos
bmeyer97219
Visitor

I can no longer send email to 2 of my critical customers!

running: http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

you can see the problem.

LISTED    NIXSPAM     Return codes were: 127.0.0.2 
 LISTED    SPAMCOP     Return codes were: 127.0.0.2 
 LISTED    UCEPROTECTL1     Return codes were: 127.0.0.2 

76.96.107.71 and 76.96.107.72

I called last week and reported this, and it is still broken.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

To our community members

We have an informational post (link) to address this issue.

Thank you for your patience

0 Kudos
interra

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
interra

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
interra

It is not one or two IP's which are blacklisted. There are scores. I have attached two screenshots from senderbase.org.

0 Kudos
lworxtech
New Contributor

76.96.107.73 is also suffering (beside *71 & *72) - we've had rejections from all 3 servers for a couple weeks now. To compensate, I have my office running dual servers in Outlook - added the exchange server as a secondary server & this way they can choose "send using" the exchange server if mail to certain recipients is being bounced on the pop server - I want to move them all to Exchange exclusively, but it's something of a massive undertaking at this point (several users have 15GB+ psts) - I'm fairly new to the office and am implementing an archive plan little by little, but it sure would be nice to be able to depend on comcast to protect their server reputations proactively! Same thing happened a few months ago and it took far to long for them to straighten it out! Man Frustrated

0 Kudos
bmeyer97219
Visitor

This is still broken after more than a week..... is this anyway to run a Business service?  Hard for us to conduct business when our email to critical customers doesn't go through.  Time to start finding alternative services if Comcast isn't going to be serious about supporting business.

0 Kudos