IPV6
Internet Protocol version 6

WARNING on Comcast renumbering

Highlighted
Forum Contributor

WARNING on Comcast renumbering

Hi All,

Warning that the Comcast renumbering is likely affecting ALL customers in North America.

My IPv6 service in Portland OR died on Monday.  I filed a total of 4 trouble tickets with Comcast's support throughout the week, each time the ticket was closed, claiming that everything worked and that it must be my equipment.

I finally called in this afternoon, mad as a hornet - and surprise surprise surprise it suddenly started working when

I had the tech on the phone.  Not from anything HE did, though.

What had happened near as I can tell, is that Comcast renumbered Portland OR from 2601:1c2:1::  to  2601:1c2:400::

Comcast also allocated many subnets from the 2601:1c2:400:; subnet to various locations in the Portland metro

A trace to my subnet in 2601:1c2:1:: made from subnetonline.com at around 2:30pm PST terminated in Comcast's

routers in Portland.

The same trace made at 4:30pm, 2 hours later is now terminating in Seattle, WA.   And my cable modem which had had the same IP address for the last year or two - is now showing that it's got a new subnet address.

I don't mind the renumber and I'm well aware that problems can happen.  I have done these things before myself.  But, you don't leave your support people just dangling like that.

Whoever was in charge of the renumber at Comcast should have FILED A GENERAL OUTAGE FOR IPv6 AND KEPT IT ACTIVE UNTIL THE RENUMBER WAS COMPLETED.