IPV6

Netgear CG3000DCR is EOL. What now for static IPv4 and IPv6 prefix delegation?

Highlighted
ad125
Visitor

Netgear CG3000DCR is EOL. What now for static IPv4 and IPv6 prefix delegation?

Hi, in 2016 I enrolled in the Business Starter (25/5) plan so I could have two things: 

1. a static IPv4
  2. a routable static IPv6 prefix of /56, so I could have more than 16 /64 segments

...and was set up with a Cisco DPC3941B. 

It has been over two years now, and I have not been able to utilize more than one routable /64 IPv6 segment, as that seems to be all the 3941B will advertise to my LAN interfaces. To be fair, I have not spent all of the two years working with support over this issue, though I have logged hundreds of hours learning and troubleshooting things from my end.

Earlier this year, support and I agreed to have my 3941B replaced with a Netgear CG3000DCR, but I don't recall ever being contacted to make an appointment. Exhausted with the time spent on this issue and the detrimental impact on my full-time job, I decided not to follow up and to shelve IPv6 for a few months.

But I didn't realize that in a few months, the one piece of hardware that supports proper prefix delegation would reach end of life, with no suitable replacement.

So, the CG3000DCR is now end-of-life. Comcast support has indicated that changing my business plan to a higher-speed tier will open up new models available that might have proper prefix delegation. If that's true, how much more will I pay per month for the privilege of having more than one routable /64? 

And of course, there is a chance that I have something misconfigured on my side of the demarc. But...
  1. I've confirmed that prefix delegation does work when the 3941B is in pseudo-bridge mode.
  2. I've already been through over a dozen chats, phone calls and truck rolls.
  3. There are dozens of like posts on this forum that were solved only with what is now end-of-life hardware.
  4. No one in support has been able to tell me unequivocally "Static IPv4 with proper multi-subnet, routable IPv6 prefix delegation definitely works on the 3941B. I've seen it a million times. This is a you problem." 

It would be appreciated if anyone can corroborate my network and hardware issue. I really don't want to start from square one again. ("Is your gateway on fire? Is your coax plugged into a pumpkin?") On top the of countless hours lost over two years, I had to sit at home this week and wait for my 3941B to not be replaced with a non-existent CG3000DCR. 

Official Employee

Re: Netgear CG3000DCR is EOL. What now for static IPv4 and IPv6 prefix delegation?

I'd be more than happy to assist you with swapping your modem. Please, send me a private message with your full name, address and the phone number on file to get started.