IPV6

My Static IPv4 Modem just picked up an IPv6 address as well

Tnelsom
Contributor

My Static IPv4 Modem just picked up an IPv6 address as well

Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 8.04.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-21 at 8.05.35 PM.png

Tnelsom
Contributor

Re: My Static IPv4 Modem just picked up an IPv6 address as well

Ok now some info... I am in Spokane, Washington.  

My questions now are...

Is my IPv6 static?  

If not how often can I expect it to change?

Do I need to do anything to apply for a static IP address or will just be assigned one?

(I know this is a stupid question) Is there a time table for static IP v6 addresses.

I just want to know how much work I should put in to setting this up right away and what I can expect to happen.

Thanks,

Thomas

Trusted Forum Contributor

Nope, no static v6 quite yet. I've read on other forums that it's coming next year; no idea what the sign-up process will be.

At the moment, all gateway devices will allocate direct LAN clients a 2601: address, and the Netgear & SMC will also sub-delegate an additional /64 subnet to any connected router that has the proper DHCPv6 configuration.

Oh, and I have noticed a somewhat erratic time period in between v6 prefix changes; I have gone through 3 different prefixes in the past 3 months. Recently, there has been work done both in my local area and to the entire Comcast v6 implementation as a whole, and i imagine things will eventually stabilize to the level of v4 addresses (I have had the same v4 address on one of my devices for over a year.)

@train_wreck wrote:

Nope, no static v6 quite yet. I've read on other forums that it's coming next year; no idea what the sign-up process will be.

At the moment, all gateway devices will allocate direct LAN clients a 2601: address, and the Netgear & SMC will also sub-delegate an additional /64 subnet to any connected router that has the proper DHCPv6 configuration.

Sub-delegation is a /59 on the Netgear..

Oh, and I have noticed a somewhat erratic time period in between v6 prefix changes; I have gone through 3 different prefixes in the past 3 months. Recently, there has been work done both in my local area and to the entire Comcast v6 implementation as a whole, and i imagine things will eventually stabilize to the level of v4 addresses (I have had the same v4 address on one of my devices for over a year.)

Comcast_Tuska

Tnelsom wrote:

Is my IPv6 static?

Not yet you are receiving a dynamic v6 range, static v6 will be completed in 2015..  We will be contacting all customers that have a static v4 address in 2015 to convert the dynamic v6 to static v6

If not how often can I expect it to change?

Lease time for dynamic ranges are 7 days, as long as your device is online you should keep the same block..  Only other way to change blocks would be a node move (move from current CMTS to new one)

Do I need to do anything to apply for a static IP address or will just be assigned one?

As long as your device supports v6 if will be assigned via SLAAC or DHCPv6

Comcast_Tuska
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation