IPV6
Back to Top

IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

flybynight
Contributor

IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

Is there a timeline for the rollout of IPv6 for business customers? My modem's firmware (updated by Comcast) supports IPv6 for a while now, and my CMTS does support IPv6 according to the comcast6.net site. But I the modem doesn't show any IPv6 addresses. (modem type: SMCD3G-CCR, Firmware 3.1.6.54 ) .

 

Thanks.

 

Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

as far as static IPv6 is concerned, Comcast is still in trials for that (and trial participants are apparently only designated a single /128 address, of which I would question the usefulness of)

If you can live without static addresses, BCI customers can now obtain v6 /128 addresses as well as delegated prefixes via DHCPv6, as long as you are either using your own modem or have a rental gateway in bridge mode

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

This is not 100% correct..

 


@train_wreck wrote:

as far as static IPv6 is concerned, Comcast is still in trials for that (and trial participants are apparently only designated a single /128 address, of which I would question the usefulness of)

-----------------------------

This is not correct Static and Dynamic CCR devices are still in trial..  These will give a /56 by default on the LAN side to the customer and a /128 on the WAN interface

 

------------------------------
If you can live without static addresses, BCI customers can now obtain v6 /128 addresses as well as delegated prefixes via DHCPv6, as long as you are either using your own modem or have a rental gateway in bridge mode


This part is correct..  As of today a cusotmer can use IA_PD and request a /60 we are working on getting the /56 working to these customers as well..

Comcast_Tuska
Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

ah ok, thanks for clarifying, i didn't make it into the trial, and had heard from someone that a /128 was all you get; /128 on WAN and /56 on internal makes more sense. (btw, /56 == huge!!)

gadams999
New Contributor

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

train_wreck - for BCI and modem in bridge mode, are you taking the production service or trial?

Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

production; as I said, I didnt make it into the trial, but both my personal Zoom 5341J and the bridged Cisco DPC3939B at my work are both happily letting me obtain v6 addresses & subnets. And both locations are business class

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline


@train_wreck wrote:
production; as I said, I didnt make it into the trial, but both my personal Zoom 5341J and the bridged Cisco DPC3939B at my work are both happily letting me obtain v6 addresses & subnets. And both locations are business class

That is correct if a customer has a cable modem that is supported for dual-stack they will get it, customers can look here for v6 support: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ 

Comcast_Tuska
gadams999
New Contributor

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline

I just spoke to a service rep regarding customer provided equipment. SIgh. Looks like I cannot do that since they said I'd have to give up my static IP assigments  (block fo 5) and go back to single DHCP provided IP address.

 

 

Re: IPv6 for Business Customers Timeline


@gadams999 wrote:

I just spoke to a service rep regarding customer provided equipment. SIgh. Looks like I cannot do that since they said I'd have to give up my static IP assigments  (block fo 5) and go back to single DHCP provided IP address.

 

 


Correct this is only for dynamic customers..

Comcast_Tuska
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2521 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation