Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

VPN with SMCD3G-CCR

SOLVED
Hoover143

VPN with SMCD3G-CCR

We have an SMCD3G-CCR business modem/router.  Behind that is an ASUS RT-AC66U router with built in VPN server.   We also have a Comcast static IP.  How do I setup the Comcast router to let the VPN work? Thanks.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: VPN with SMCD3G-CCR

Welcome Hoover143.   With a Static IP there are no additional settings necessary in the SMC.  You assign the routeable IP to the ASUS Router and set you access rules for VPN there.  

Thank You

Highlighted
mech820

Sorry to use this same string but I have the exact same setup and having trouble setting up VPN.  You are saying to make the ASUS Router WAN IP the static Ip assigned to me?  I can't ping my static ip but it does resolve to *-*-*-*-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net and am using that as the hostname in the client VPN adapter settings.  If I do what you say is there a particular way to wire between the comcast modem and the router?  Right now I have the cable between the two going into the internet port on the ASUS router, should I move that to one of the 4 LAN ports or keep it the same?  Thank you, would really appreciate your help.

Community Manager
Community Manager

HI mech820.  I apologize for the delay in responding to your post.  The Ethernet cable connects to the WAN interface port on the ASUS Router.  You will need to assign your  routeable IP as the WAN IP on the ASUS (X.X.X.73) with the proper subnet(255.255.255.252).  The VPN setup is then configured under the Friewall or the advanced tab depending on the particular router model. 

Thak You

reborn68

I have the same setup but I don't understand your resolution. So I uplink the WAN port on the Asus VPN router to the one of the 4 LAN ports on the SMC. before that I should configure the Asus WAN port to the assigned IP I get from the installed tech. Is that the same IP I get from the Gateway summary network. Please help.

Community Manager
Community Manager

HI reborn68.    " So I uplink the WAN port on the Asus VPN router to the one of the 4 LAN ports on the SMC. before that I should configure the Asus WAN port to the assigned IP I get from the installed tech"  

That is correct.  

"Is that the same IP I get from the Gateway summary network"   The IP shown on the Gateway Summary - Network page is the default gateway IP address.  If you have only one routeable IP address the last octet will be an odd number. 

Pleas let us know if additional assistance is required.

Thank You

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation