Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
DanielOdievich

Steps to use my own equipment on Business Class?

Hello there,

I am coming up to the end of my initial 3 year term under Business Class, using internet and VoIP. I have been generally satisfied with service but less so with the cost, including equipment rental fee. I currently have an internet and voice bundle, renting SMC 8014 gateway and Arris VoIP modem.

I am a heavy user of the internet, with two people working from home, with large files and media going in and out. I also use a cloud backup service which consumes a fair amount of bandwidth.

I would like to use my own equipment and stop paying the rental fee. I also want higher bandwidth. I had several calls with Business Class support, during which I was told that Business Class customers were not allowed to bring their own equipment. I was also told that I can't make any changes before 3 year contract is over.

So I thought that I'd switch to residential, although I do have concerns about the bandwitdh cap there. In preparation, I bought a used Motorola SB6120. However, I just found this <http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Issues-Modems-Gateways/Replacing-SMC-gateway-wit...> message, which shows that at least one person was able to keep their business class service with their own modem and presumably avoid rental fee.

Because of the lower usage, I also would like to transition my VoiP number to another, lower cost provider.

Can anyone (preferably from Comcast, Comcast_Jon, that's you ;-)) confirm the steps necessary to:

a) stay on business class

b) return the currently leased equipment

c) register own modem

d) remove equipment fee

Thank you,

Daniel

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Steps to use my own equipment on Business Class?

Hello DanielOdievich,

Welcome to the forum.

We appreciate your post and also glad to hear our services are meeting your business needs.

To your query customers can use their own modem as long as it is on the Comcast’s accepted list.

This can be accomplish either by going directly to a service center near you or contacting technical support (1-800-391-3000 please select upgrade/downgrade prompt). For either choice please have the M.A.C address from your new modem with you to aid in trouble shooting and test your BCI service when completed.

To return any currently leased equipment our service center can receive them, but I do recommend for all changes to your account has been address before returning them. Additionally please keep your receipt and call back in few days to technical support to confirm all changes made correctly.

In regards to the equipment fee, unfortunately it can’t be change at this time because of the phone service device. This can be address when the current contract ends and when you decide upon new business contract with Comcast or another, but please make it prior to 30 days to prevent any incongruence.

If you need additional clarification or assistance please post!

Thank you

0 Kudos
DanielOdievich

Hello John,

I am clear on using my own device. My Motorola SB6120 is on approved list.

I am also clear that I must wait for my contract to finish before making any modifications and trying to get service fees.

If I read you right, I can begin making preparations to modifications to my service before 30 days of contact expiration. I will need that time to properly roll off my VoIP to another service, before renewing just the internet portion of my contract, using my own customer-owned modem.

Thank you for recommendation on the customer centers. They can handle the business class customers, right?

Thank you,
D

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello DanielOdievich,

Yes, Comcast service center can assist business customers, but please call first to know their exact hours of operation to save trip.

Also you can make the changes on your account to use modem now and not wait till expiration of the contract.

Thank you

0 Kudos
DanielOdievich

Just to close the loop, I called customer service. The first tech had a hard time putting the new modem into inventory, but second tech did that just fine. To my surprise, the modem started cycling, connecting just very briefly and then disconnecting. The tech suggested that my modem was toast. I spent a weekend troubleshooting, and tracked it down to quality of the line.

I have a Leviton enclosure with Leviton 47690-8C passive 1x8 splitter (http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-47690-8C-Passive-Splitter-Bracket/dp/B0009KKE02). The incoming wire is split into 3 useful wires (1 TV, 1 for VoIP modem and 1 for Cable modem)

The modems - both old and new - would report Upstream level at 56-58dBmV which is apparently right on the edge of acceptable signal level. The old modem (SMC 8014) had no problems connecting, but the Motorola (SB 6020) would barf all over and reboot. When connecting directly to the incoming wire, and bypassing the splitter, the signal power level dropped to 44 dBmV, and Motorola would connect just fine. I applied 75Ohm resistor caps on the unused ports on the Leviton splitter, and the signal level dropped slightly to 54dBmV, which is OK for Motorola and it's happily running now.

Thank you,

Daniel

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello DanielOdievich,

Thank you for sharing your experience and insight to this issue.

Community appreciates this information greatly.

Thank you

0 Kudos