Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
LauraW

Steam

I'm trying to make Steam work for the first time since switching to Comcast Business a few months ago, and I'm having no luck.  The problem appears to be port forwarding, which isn't working according to some tools I've run that try to connect to the ports from outside my network.

I have one of the Netgear cable modem/router boxes.  Behind it I have an Asus RT-AC66U WiFii router, and then my Windows 7 PC.  The Asus router is using a static IP on its WAN port, and my PC also has a static IP on the internal 192.168.1.x network that hangs off the Asus.  I have port forwarding set up on the Asus acccording to their instructions, so I'm fairly sure it's not the problem.  (Though I have seen a few reports of bugs there, so it's a possibility.)

Is there anything I need to do on Comcast's Netgear box to make the inbound connections work?  I don't think port forwarding should  be required, since I'm not using NAT on that box, but I may be misunderstanding how that works.  Are there any firewall settings I need to tweak to allow the connections?  On the Firewall page I have "Disable firewall for true static IP subnet only" checked, which is the only applicable setting I could find.  But the UI on this thing is a steaming pile of garbage (to put it mildly), so it's entirely possible I may be missing something.

Does anyone have an idea how to make this work, or alternatively how I could go about debugging it further?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
LauraW

Re: Steam

This was a false alarm.  I tried one more reboot of my Asus router, and it is working now.  Go figure.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Steam

Hello LauraW,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience with the community!

0 Kudos