Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
coyttl

Static IPs (5) in Gateway Mode w/ Internal Router

Hey All -

Been googling the life out of me, to work around some odd issue I've had.

First, a little background - came from Verizon FIOS with my router, using their gateway in bridge mode and one static IP. This worked fine.

Now I upgraded to Comcast with 5 static IPs. Shortly after getting the IPs assigned, somethig happened to the IPs, and ier 2 had to give me a new set of 5.

So today I asked to have the modem put in Bridge mode.

It idn't work .. well, if at all.

In my router, I used my first static IP, matched DNS and Gateway IPs from the modem in the router.

For some reason, this didn't work - DNS lookup wasn't working, and if I tried to connect to an IP,  it would time out.

Any thoughts on what to check for? (Was I supposed to use the other, modem IP for the router's WAN address? I wasn't sure about that..)

Cheers -

--Mike.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
coyttl

Re: Static IPs (5) in Gateway Mode w/ Internal Router

Forgot to add a few things. That's what I get for typing too late at night. Smiley Happy

When in bridged mode and I couldn't get out into the internets, I COULD access the modem through it's 6th fixed IP. While doing so, the modem said that it was still using the 10.1.10 addresses for 'LAN'. I'm not sure if the modem reporting this is correct for it being in 'bridged' mode or not.  Also, the reson for asking is that - could the new IPs I got still be routed incorrectly (as the first set was?) and be adding to my woes? Smiley Happy

--Mike.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Static IPs (5) in Gateway Mode w/ Internal Router

Welcome coyttl.  Your post seems to point to a misconfiguration of the Comcast Gateway.  Please contact the Business Service center @ 1-800-391-3000 and have the agent reload the configuration file with the correct static IP scope.  The agent can also test to ensure that there is not a duplicate assignment on the network.  Please let us know if you need further assistance after the reload.

Thank You

0 Kudos