Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Static IP using Motorola SB6121 Modem

SOLVED
Robin339
New Contributor

Static IP using Motorola SB6121 Modem

Hi,

I purchased a Motorola SB6121 modem as approved by Comcast. I have a business class account and 5 Static IPs. I am being told that Comcast is having issues loading the IPs.

I do not want to go back to the SMC that was provided to me by comcast because I have my own router anddo not want to double nat.

Is there a solution to this?

Is there a "Modem Only" that will work with Comcast static IPs?

Thanking in advance.

Khalid

Robin339
New Contributor

Configure as a true bridge - (SMC D3G-CCR)

Hello,

I need to put  my SMC D3Gs into "true bridge" mode by having Comcast telnet into my device and issue it the command ven rg 0.  The technical support representatives I spoke with only knew to just disable port forwarding, dhcp, and firewall.

I need the SMC to act like a hub so my router can do all the required routing and natting.

I have 5 static IPs as part of my package so I will need to have all 5 IPs just pass through.

PLease help.

Thank you.

Khalid

Robin339
New Contributor

Re: Steps to use my own equipment on Business Class?

I bought the same modem, but now I am being told that my modem keeps timing out when trying to load static IPs.

jessebs
Visitor

Re: Configure as a true bridge - (SMC D3G-CCR)

I am having the same issue.  In fact, I'm on the verge of grabbing a 6121 modem from a store in the next couple of hours.  I'm not sure about the original poster, but I do not have any static ips.

Robin339
New Contributor

The modem is working fine with "Dynamic" IP. The problem is, I need to get my Static IPs working

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Static IP using Motorola SB6121 Modem

Hello Robin339,

Welcome to the forum.

Motorola SB6121 is on approved modem list, but only for standalone modem use.

Only our IP-Gateways are capable of carrying static IP, but it can be set to "pass-through mode".

By setting the IP-Gateway to pass-through mode, all router and firewall function will be disabled.

Then it will work only as the gateway while you can configure network to your whim.

Please note though our IP-Gateway will hold on to its static gateway IP address.

Thank you for your post and please continue to share your thoughts and knowledge to the community.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello jessebs,

Welcome to the forum.

Since you do not have any static IP at this time, and if you prefer to use your own modem, Motorola SB6121 will work sufficiently.

I do recommend for you to read this post threads if you incline to do so.

Another poster had a similar inquiry and that post thread have information entailing to it.

Thank you and please share with us your decision on it.

Robin339
New Contributor

Thanks Comcast_Jon.

My router works fine if i have it behind the SMC and assign it one of the static. I am assuming my router will not be routing the the other 4 statics.

So does that mean in order for me to get one of the other static, I need to be connected to the other ports.

Thanks

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Robin339,

That is correct, your router will not route the other 4 statics.

You need to manually set them on your network devices, and they can be connected to the said router.

Thank you

Robin339
New Contributor

What do you mean by the "said" router? You mean the SMC or my home (Cisco) router?

Thanks

Community Manager
Community Manager

Robin339,

The "said" router will be your home (cisco) router.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you

Robin339
New Contributor

So this setup should work? Static entry for the Home router and static entries to 2 end devices attached to it? Will I need to set static routing to my router? (THe reason I ask, because, I tried this setup before without any luck. I would get connections to all devices but the ones with static entries)

Thanks

original.jpg

Robin339
New Contributor

bump Smiley Happy

Kwisatz
New Contributor

Bump x2

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies