Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
kc7gr
New Contributor

Static IP's with Cust. Owned Equipment?

Good day, I have to say it's very frustrating to have this huge list of equipment which is Comcast-approved for the business side, but only if you don't have static IP's (I do). Are we still at the point where customer-owned hardware and static IP's are not permitted to be together? Why in the world does such a silly-sounding restriction exist in the first place? Hope to get an informative answer. Thanks much.
6 REPLIES 6
gstanley79
Contributor

Re: Static IP's with Cust. Owned Equipment?

You need to use their leased modems to provide static IPs, I was told this directly from their sales team. 

So a 14.95 a month suddendly becomes 14.95 + modem rental fee.

Be forewarned, the modems comcast supplies are generally buggy and have problems with crashing, hanging, et al. I'd go the dynamic route and save yourself some money. 

kc7gr
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. Won't really work in our situation due to the fact I'm self-hosted, running our own small server farm and hosting multiple domains (all ours, but still more than one). Trying to make this work with dynamic IPs would, I think, be a lesson in real frustration, especially since I handle authoritative DNS for our domains. I've directed my question in a private message to comcast_john. I will be most interested to hear the response.
Forum Contributor

The party line is that the modems have the static subnet configured into them then generate routing advertisements back into the Comcast network.  I guess they feel that if they allow 3rd party routers that jerks will 'accidentally' configure larger subnets than they were allocated, in hopes of ducking the fees, which might stomp on adjacent customers.

And of course the fact that over many years you more than pay for the cost of the modem many times over, is icing on the cake to Comcast.

I haven't observed the bugginess issue of the routers.  I self host also and I have a back door low-speed DSL line, if I need to I can remote into a router on that line then connect to a remote power switch and turn off and on the cable modem.

0 Kudos
kc7gr
New Contributor

Apologies for not updating this for a while. I did indeed ask comcast_jon why such a restriction exists. I suspect you all will find it as interesting (and as unsurprising) as I did that I received no reply whatsoever to that specific question, despite pointing out it makes no technical sense (in my head, anyway) for the restriction to be present. While I agree there's always a possibility of abuse, pulling a stunt like trying to assign yourself a larger IP block than you've been allocated wouldn't work out in the long run. Too easy to spot, too many ways for it to fail. I can only speak for myself, but I'd bet there are plenty of others who would agree: Comcast, I'm talking to YOU! Let those of us who are smart enough to do self-hosting use our own equipment if we want to. It's crazy to let the 'mainstream' use their own modem while penalizing those of us who could, if we really wanted to and had nothing better to do, hack the crap out of the thing in any case. Thanks for listening.
Highlighted
rpineau
New Contributor

I agree with you.

To start , they should stop using RIPv2 and use OSPF. This will allow them to do route filtering on their side and prevent any route poisoning from hapening. If they don't like OSPF they could even do iBGP with customer auth and route filtering.

There are more than one solution to this problem and forcing the user to rent the low grade gateway (full of bugs) because they can't get their act together for business customers.

0 Kudos
farrow
New Contributor

I think one of the reasons is that they can rip of static ip address owners with increasing rental prices of the modems.  This way is a stealth increase to prices even though you may have locked yourself or thought you locked yourself into a contract price.

This is criminal in my mind and unfortunately I have been caught by this.

0 Kudos