Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Setting up VPN in Belkin F9K1004

SOLVED
ipinvest
Visitor

Setting up VPN in Belkin F9K1004

I have SMCD3G-CCR.  I'm trying to setup the VPN in the Belkin F9K1004 that is connected to the SMCD3G-CCR.  Do I need to have the SMC device function as a bridge or change anything?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Setting up VPN in Belkin F9K1004

Welcome IPinvest.  Thank you for the post.  The short answer is yes,  you will have to customize the LAN side of the SMC in order for VPN to function properly.  To further assist we would need additional info about your  network set-up, are using static iP'S,  will you utilize the SMC for internet connectivity for other devices at this location.  Let us know how how we can assist you further.

Thank You

ipinvest
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  I am not using static IP address.  The SMC device is serving as a cable modem and the Belkin is tied to the SMC.  The Belkin is the only device that is providing LAN services, some through a Switch between the Belkin and the computer/printers on the LAN.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ipinvest.  Since you do not require any of the router functionality on the SMC we can set it to  true bridge mode.  If you will send me a PM with the MAC address on the gateway I can have a Tier 2 agent make the change.  this will require a hard reset on the gateway and will result in 1 to 2 minutes of down time.

Thank You

ipinvest
Visitor

Hi John, Thanks for the reply.  What is a "PM"?  I'm relunctant to post our MAC address on this board.  Also, is there a way to enable the VPN on the Belkin without giving up the routing function from the SMC device?  Thanks for all your help.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Ipinvest.  To send a private message (PM), click the username and then click the link to the right  <send this user a private message>.  Also here is a Link to the Belkin site that has info specific to your device.  To VPN into your device you will need to set a port forward rule on the SMC.  (login to the SMC, click the firewall tab, click the port forward tab) 

Thank You

ipinvest
Visitor

Hi John, Thanks.  I will send the MAC address tomorrow (I'm out of the office).  How do I log into the SMC device?  Thanks again!  This is saving me hours of work.

ipinvest
Visitor

Hi John, What do I set in the Port Forwarding, e.g. for "Application Name", "Port Range" for "Public"/"Private", "Protocol", and "IP Address"? Much thanks for you help.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ipinvest. The firewall are user determined.  The application name can be VPN,  Belkin or any memory jogger.  The port range is the port number on the Beeline that you opened for remote access (ex: 80 ~80) protocol is both  and the IP address is the IP of your router.  (ex.10.1.10.10).  You router has to be configured to receive traffic on the port/ports that you have listed in the SMC.  Also you should be able to ping your router from the SMC, if not check the firewall settings on your router.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation