Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
berkinet

SMCD3G-CCR, static-ip and bridge mode (pass-thru)

A while ago I requested that my modem be placed into bridge mode and was told it was done. I rechecked a few months later and was again told, it had been done. But, when I checked today, because the modem web interface did not seem like it should be for bridge mode, I was told that bridge mode is incompatible with static IPs.  (BTW I have 5 static IPs)

The specific command I had requested the tech to enter, from the CLI, was: ven rg 0

Does someone know if this information is correct? Will true bridge mode (as opposed to just turning off all services in the user web interface) actually break static IPs?

For reference, the setup here is 1 router (Cisco RV042G) and 4 servers connected directly to the SMC. Each with staticaly defined IP from my range.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: SMCD3G-CCR, static-ip and bridge mode (pass-thru)

Welcome berkinet.   Placing a device in <true bridge mode> does " break the static IP's".  Bridge mode removes all router functions, essentially you end up with a standalone modem.  For static IP to route on the Comcast network, the IP Scope has to be assigned to the routing device that faces the public network.  The command <ven rg 0> applies to the SMC 8014 not the SMCD3G.  Based on the info in your post, placing the SMC in true bridge mode will break your network.

Thank You

0 Kudos
berkinet

Re: SMCD3G-CCR, static-ip and bridge mode (pass-thru)

Thanks for the reply. This is not a big issue. But, I have noticed that other businesses I know in the same local area (without static IPs) are getting 50% greater throughput after swapping out their SMCs for a Motorola 6121 or 6141. Maybe someday those of us with static-ips will have a choice too.
0 Kudos