Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

SMC bridge mode

toddgearhart
Visitor

SMC bridge mode

Hello! I'd love to be able to have my SMC configured in true bridge mode - I have a wireless router behind the SMC that I'd like to use as my primary router. 

Is there  a way to do that?

tsummers
Frequent Contributor

Re: SMC bridge mode

If you have static IP's, you can not bridge the smc . You would just assign your usable IP to your device. Make sure the firewall is disabled for true static subnet so tha the packets are transferred uninspected. If you do not have a static IP, you can call tech support and they can bridge the modem for you. (disabling dhcp and disabling firewall does NOT bridge the smc. they need to access the command line interface and run a command to change the mode of the modem from gateway to modem.
toddgearhart
Visitor

Thanks! I think the problem when contacting Comcast is that I do not have static IPs. The first rep I talked to said I shouldn't be in bridge mode, which isn't helpful, and the second rep said the only way to fix the problem was to get static IP service added to my account again.

Ultimately, I want to be able to have my router have a dynamically assigned WAN ip and not an internal 10.1.10.x ip that the current SMC router/modem generates for me. Is that possible? How to do I connect with the right tech person at Comcast?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi toddgearhart.  We can assist with your requested change. Please send me a private message with the RF Mac address of your device and the Business Account number and I will engage the Tier 2 Support Center.  Please note, <true bridge mode> disables all router functions and fixed static IP address cannot be assigned to bridged devices. 

Thank You

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation