Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
prexionkeith

SMC GatewayD3G - QoS

We just got Comcast Internet installed here and was given the SMC D3G router/gateway.  I was previously told that I can configure QoS prior to installing Comcast but after multiple calls to tech support, I was told there are no QoS rules.  I need to prioritize certain packets for my VoIP system through a third party vendor. 

Is there another device that I can use to provide QoS instead of the SMC?  We also purchased the 5 static IPs so I need to be able to use multiple IP's with teh QoS rules as well.

I think I can set the Comcast as a passthrough to a router that has QoS rules but will that router still be able to provide me with 5 static IPs?  Is there a recommended router if this is the solution?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: SMC GatewayD3G - QoS

Prexionkeith,  welcome to the Forum.  At this time QoS is not supported on any of  the Comcast Business Gateways.  A firewall appliance such as a Watchguard or a Sonicwall does provide QoS and can be configured with static ip's.  Also the passthrough mode of the Gateway does not support static ip's,  the gateway in effect becomes a standalone modem with a single dynamic IP Address.  

0 Kudos
Antonio-Malcolm
Visitor

Comcast_John wrote: "Also the passthrough mode of the Gateway does not support static ip's,  the gateway in effect becomes a standalone modem with a single dynamic IP Address."

Oy. REALLY, I'm not trying to attack here, but this is absolutely NOT true. I know, because I'm currently doing this with a static IP.

I'm just going to start a new thread...

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome Antonio-Malcolm.  Thank you for our post.  When the Comcast Gateway is placed into true bridge mode, all router functions are completely disabled, the IP address received from the Comcast CMTS (dynamic IP) is passed directly to the connected device.  When the Comcast Gateway is placed into true bridge mode it is not possible to assign a routeable IP scope to the device.  In true bridge mode it is simply <one public IP in and one public IP out>.  In true bridge mode IP address is automatically passed thru to the device connected to the Gateway.  

Thank you again for the post.

0 Kudos
Antonio-Malcolm
Visitor

Ok, I think you edited your response, or maybe I missed something; yes, in bridge mode it passes the IP address through to the device, which is the point of having a router. Multiple static IPs (the block) can be handled with virtual IPs. I'm currently using my static IP address, and will be doing it with five, later this week. Your described scenario doesn't even make sense, technically. See also, eamedia's response to my HOW TO post.

0 Kudos