Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
TomCat

SMC D3G Modem/Gateway with a Netgear WNR3500U Wireless Router

My cable-connected computers and devices are working fine. I am trying to get the Netgear wireless router working for wireless connections to my network. Do I need to somehow enable "bridging mode" in the SMC modem? Are there any instructions documented anywhere on your site for enabling a wireless router with this model SMC modem?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TomCat

Re: SMC D3G Modem/Gateway with a Netgear WNR3500U Wireless Router

I solved the problem with a call to Comcast support where the rep was patient enough to work with me even though they do not support configuring third party routers. Bridging mode is on by default in the modem. The solution is to configure the front end IP addresses (Static IP, Gateway, mask, DNS servers) with those given to me by the Comcast Internet installation tech. The LAN-side configuration IPs are the same as those of the modem: 10.1.10.1, 255.255.255.0, etc. Disable DHCP in the modem and enable it in the router. Then I had to make sure to plug all my routed computers and devices into the router ports and not the modem ports for them to communicate with each other. The wireless networking is then confiured in the router, of course. Plug a computer into a modem port to get the modem config window at 10.1.10.1 and into a router port to see the router config at the same IP.

I hope this might help others who have this problem which literally took me days to get right because of the lack of documentation anywhere. In the end the solution was simple and pretty obvious. Hindsight is 20-20.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: SMC D3G Modem/Gateway with a Netgear WNR3500U Wireless Router

Hello Tomcat,

Thank you for sharing your experience and insight in this matter.

Please help our forum grow by continuing to post your questions, concerns and as well as share your knowledge with the community!

Thank you once again.

0 Kudos