Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
Highlighted
Cando
Visitor

Retaining config settings when upgrading the gateway

I in the process of upgrading my gateway to the new SMCD3G. Before I do that I need to understand how it will retain the configuration of the current gateway it replaces.

I am running a commercial firewall (hardware) and webserver right behind the router. The firewall routes the http request to the server based on a static IP I got from Comcast.

gateway -> Firewall (10.1.10.10 from DHCP) -> Webserver (192.1.168.X)

Setting this up required multiple calls to tech support. There is a hidden routing table only they can access. I am guessing they created a NAT rule that forwards all traffic received on my static IP to the firewall (by IP).

Quality of tech support has taken a nose dive lately. The last operator told me that "Comcast tech support does not provide support at the port level". She was unable to tell me how a packet at port 80 was routed in my current config.

What is the best way for me to get this upgrade done with as little downtime as possible?

What's the name of that routing table the end user cannot see? It might help with my conversations with tech support.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Retaining config settings when upgrading the gateway

Hello Cando,

Welcome to the forum.

To your query what we suggest is the following:

Log into IP-Gateway and either write down or take screen shots of the current LAN settings for information.

- Including the Firewall settings, NAT setting, etc.

- This information is to make a matching change on the new IP-Gateway on the LAN side. 

On the tech call day:

Inform the field tech to contact their local support first and "back-up" the static IP configuration.

After the installation is completed have the local support restore the "back-up", after connectivity is confirmed.

Request to the field tech to factory reset the old IP-Gateway clear the original configuration.

Thank you and please tell us of any update to share with the community.

0 Kudos
Cando
Visitor

So you are saying the gateway configuration on Comcast's side, you call it static IP configuration, is transferable from one modem to the next? How come the user has not access to the static IP configuration?
0 Kudos
Cando
Visitor

We did our modem switch today. The config restore did not work as described. We had to suffer through a 2 hour downtime. The new setup is nothing like the old. We will have to change our internal network to match the new config on Comcast's side.
0 Kudos