Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
khb
Visitor

Remote reboot?

Last night there must have been some storm related glitch. We lost internet connectivity and for some hours I could not gain physical access to the router. Logging in to 10.1.10.1 allowed me to see that the unit said it was fine, the modem values indicated good quality connection and lock, etc. Dial tone on our IP phone (comcast provided) was fine; but ping, nslookup, etc all failed (from systems and from the diagnostic page of the router admin diagnostic page).

The obvious standard SMC "tools/reboot" menu appeared to be missing or hidden. A quick power cycle restored service. 

It would be nice to NOT have to trek down to the machine room. Interestingly, in 6.5 years of residental service (and much worse storms) we never had such an issue.

Also, oddly, the admin webpage doesn't actually show the model number. What it does reflect is:

Initilization Procedure

Vendor NameSMC Networks
Hardware Version1.01
Serial NumberH2124632070B
Firmware Version1.4.0.49.7-CCR

So, how do we reboot remotely (attaching a remote power widget is feasible, but seems like both overkill ... and that since the raw SMC hardware had the feature that we really ought to still have it lurking ;>).

Many thanks, in advance,

khb

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Remote reboot?

Welcome khb.  At this time remote access to the gateway is restricted by Comcast policy for security reasons.  However a device reset can be obtained by a call to a Comcast Service Center @ 1-800-391-3000.  

Thank You

0 Kudos
Highlighted
khb
Visitor

Re: Remote reboot?

I think you misunderstand me. The reboot is from within our LAN, cusaccess/highspeed gets me in, it just doesn't allow this operation.

It is nonsensial to have a single username/password across the entire comcast "fleet" and say you are restricting a lAN internal reboot operation for "security reasons".

Calling support rather than fighting my way past the carpenters toolscurrently  blocking my router from easy physical access is not really a very useful option. Indeed, gratitious power cycling is hard on various components (capacitors especially), so  it would be in Comcast's interest to restore this feature native to the SMC router.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the command line, and if there's an ssh path in rather than the web interface I'm happy to use that (happier, in fact).