Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Pros and Cons of Switching from SMC D3G-CCR to Motorola SB6141

SOLVED
Aspire
Visitor

Pros and Cons of Switching from SMC D3G-CCR to Motorola SB6141

Hi everyone,

Beyond the obvious of saving the $9.95 equipment fee, why else would I do so?

Many, many thanks in advance for your time.

Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: Pros and Cons of Switching from SMC D3G-CCR to Motorola SB6141

Hello Aspire,

If you are only a Business Class (BC) Internet service customer, then you would definitely save the $9.95 monthly equipment fee. However and for instance, if you also have BC Telephone service you would still pay the $9.95 equipment fee. The equipment fee is predominately used for maintainability and serviceability of all your Comcast provided equipment and coax cabling function operation. This means that if you have any equipment (modems, cable boxes) hardware, software, firmware, etc. issues or coax cabling connectivity ingress, egress, interconnectivity, etc. issues, this will be resolved by Comcast at your business at no charge.

Now, if you have and use your customer owned SB6141 modem, then the only serviceabillty that Comcast provides is to make sure the correct Tier Internet service bootfile is provided and you can access the internet. If your SB6141 has any other hardware, software, firmware, etc. problems you will need to contact Motorola Technical Support because Comcast provides inherent support to the modems it provides to its customers.

Aspire
Visitor

This was an excellent, informative reply. Thanks very much!

oh and 1 more thing, the SB6141 can bond 8 channels on the downstream, while the SMC can only bond 4. Those 8 channels on the Motorola MIGHT give you more consistent download speeds, depending on your speed tier and congestion in your local area on the Comcast network, and the more channels the modem can bond the better, in generally all cases.

Hello Aspire,

I am very happy  Smiley Very Happy  that you found my response informative. If there is anything else you need, please let us know.....regards

Hello train_wreck,

Thanks again for your SMCD3G and SB6141 channel bonding comparison info. Actually the SB6141 only has 8 downstream bonding channels and has the same SMCD3G 4 upstream bonding channels.  Smiley Wink 

@VBSSP-RICH wrote:

Thanks again for your SMCD3G and SB6141 channel bonding comparison info. Actually the SB6141 only has 8 downstream bonding channels and has the same SMCD3G 4 upstream bonding channels.  Smiley Wink 

You're welcome, but I believe I said that in the first sentence of my post Smiley Wink

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation