Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
DGF

Problems with VirtualPBX install

Hi,

I'm a brand new Comcast Business Class subscriber - I'm trying to get a VOIP-based phone system installed and am having some challenges: I'm using VirtualPBX as my provider and purchased 8 Panasonic UT123 SIP phones from them, all preconfigured for use with their application. I have the phones physically connected to my network, but get a "Connection Error 90001 - Check Server and Set It" error message displayed on all the phones.

I've spoken with VirtualPBX and they are adamant that it's an issue with the Comcast cable modem (Netgear CG3000DCR) and to check with Comcast that SIP traffic isn't being restricted - but from what I've read, this isn't something that Comcast typically does.

I've tried connecting a phone directly to the cable modem (eliminating a switch and wiring run) and still have the problem.

I'm a networking novice, so I'm unsure if this is at all related, but I can't ping any outside destinations (either using a url or an IP address), but I do have normal Internet connectivity.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things I can try to narrow down my problem? Any help would be really appreciated.

Dave

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Problems with VirtualPBX install

Welcome DGF. While the VirtualPBX is beyond the Comcast hand-off, we can assist with ensuring that the Netgear gateway can connect to the public network. Ping test from the Netgear to open servers (google, yahoo 7 4.2.2.2) all test ok.  Assistance with customer network set-up can be obtained via Comcast Signature Support.  Please let us know if you continue to have issues pinging to an open server via your directly connected PC. 

Thank You

0 Kudos
DGF

Just wanted to close this out for anyone else that might be in the same situation with VirtualPBX - apparently the Comcast-provided Netgear CG3000DCR modem cannot be configured to work with VirtualPBX!

My workaround was to install one of the two (!) routers recommended by VirtualPBX in front of the Comcast modem - I was then able to disable SIP ALG, enable NAT, and disable UPnP - none of which can be done on the Netgear unit. ....and then everything worked like it said on the box. Hopefully this might help someone avoid wasting a couple of days like I did.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello DGF, thank you for sharing your insight and experience of this issue for our community.

Please, continue to post your thoughts, we encourage and appreciate it.

0 Kudos