Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
Robin339
New Contributor

Post - if you think Comcast should ditch the SMC and upgrade to a better modem

I am seeing so much of the same issues with the SMC that are provided with the business accounts. I think it is time for Comcast to either upgrade to something else such as Motorla modems, OR allow customers the Flexibility to use their own modems and STILL get the full benefit (ie. Static multiple IP Handling).

Regards,

Khalid

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RossHenning
Visitor

Re: Post - if you think Comcast should ditch the SMC and upgrade to a better modem

I agree.  I'm very frustrated that Comcast supports a whole litany of modems on the residential side, and only supports a handful of old and cruddy modems on the business side.  If a modem works on the residential side, then why the heck not allow it on the business class side so long as the business class user is not going to use static IPs?  

0 Kudos
Forum Contributor

Re: Post - if you think Comcast should ditch the SMC and upgrade to a better modem

Why would a business class user NOT have static IPs?

I suspect the truth is that the business modems tag the frames, that's why Comcast insists on having control of those modems and does not let end users into them.  If they tag them then they can prioritize them that's how they can maintain their SLA.

0 Kudos
friend_matthew
Visitor

I agree whole heartedly. Those SMC modem/gateways are pure junk. The fact we are "allowed" to choose from a list of "approved" modem/routers, but have to buy them ourselves, and still get charged for the SMC, being told its just part of the bill. That is purely nuts. If this type of behavior, including residential customers getting signal boosts for from, and we don't? If we don't get a better boost than residential customers are getting, I will personally sick the BBB (Better Business Bureau) on them.

0 Kudos
Forum Contributor

What is the hand-off?

Comcast's handoff to you is an ethernet port.  On the SMC.  The SMC is part of THEIR network, not yours.  That

would be their position so I don't see how complaining to anyone other than Comcast is going to do anything.

0 Kudos