Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

No access to FTP on port 21, lost in the loop of support help

SOLVED
rdfry
Visitor

No access to FTP on port 21, lost in the loop of support help

I had a Comcast Ubee modem and older router that were working well, decided to purchased a new router with USB FTP port internal.  Accessing the FTP on the LAN it works, but will not work from a remote location. I got a dynamic DNC and it still would not work. So I called tech support I was told I needed a new MODEM (Ubee from Comcast) I swapped it out at local service center. It still did not work so I called Tech support again and was told I need to get a Router/Gateway and put it in Bridging mode. A tech was sent and installed the Netgear Gateway.  I was given instructions to follow by the second tech over the phone "how to setup bridging mode", after preforming the steps I lost connection to the Netgear Gateway (Comcast’s). I connected directly and reversed the settings, I now have internet but have the same issue no access to my FPT on port 21. I do not have a static IP address but will be using a dynamic DNS.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: No access to FTP on port 21, lost in the loop of support help

Welcome rdfry.  You can set a forward rule on the Netgear by clicking the firewall tab, then Port Configuration, then adding the port number and the IP of the Device that you want remote access to. Also our Tier 2 agent can set the device to true bridge mode if your prefer.  Let us know.

Thank You

rdfry
Visitor

Thank you for the reply.

I tried portfoward, the Netgear Gateway is a 10.1.10.1 set up as DHCP the Trendnet Router is in the 192.168.10.1 set to DHCP for WAN IP, getting a 10.1.10.3 WAN address. I forward port 21 to the 10.1.10.3 and made 192.168.10.1 (FTP IP address as well) as the DMZ on the Trendnet. It did not work that way and scaning the outside IP reports only Port 80 open. So is setting the Netgear in the Bridging mode the best way to go or did I screw up the fowarding?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi rdfy. As the trendnet router is beyond the Comcast DEMARC we can place the Netgear in true bridge mode and all traffic will terminate on the trendnet, allowing traffic management on a the trendnet.  As this will cause a reset let us know a timeline to make the change.

Thank You

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation