Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Netgear CG3000DCR, firmware 1.33.03, dropping packets every few seconds

SOLVED
Trusted Forum Contributor

Netgear CG3000DCR, firmware 1.33.03, dropping packets every few seconds

100/20, 5 statics, outside Nashville, TN

We got this modem installed about a month ago. Within a few weeks it started dropping packets, every 10th-50th packet is dropped - this is observed through both pings to many different websites/addresses and through packet traces done on the router of any kind of download/upload traffic. Standard troubleshooting was done (modem reboots, removed router, tested with multiple computers, each plugged directly into the modem individually), all with the same result. Pingtest.net shows 3-9% packet loss, speedtest.net and the Comcast speedtest show wildly varying speeds between 10 to 60mbps down and 1-3mbps up. The problem occurs whether we are using our static IPs or obtaining an address from the modem. Running a ping on the diagnostic tools page of the modem produces the same result, and the traceroute feature on that page does not work (times out at our gateway address, never makes it past that). When this first happened a few weeks ago, I did a factory reset & called to get the config pushed back to it, which fixed the issue for a few more weeks until this morning, when the problem started & has been happening all day. Our previous SMCD3G worked fine for years at this location, and our signal levels look fine.

We've got a service call tommorow to swap out the modem, but has anyone else experienced this? Anything more I could try?

leehopemcc
New Contributor

Re: Netgear CG3000DCR, firmware 1.33.03, dropping packets every few seconds

Nothing seems to work to fix it..... Insist on a modem that is NOT the Netgear CG3000DCR. I have went through 3 of them...

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Local Dispatch Center informed us that the Netgear has been replaced with an SMCD3G device.  Please let us know if this resolves the problems.

Thank You

it has been 24 hours and we have not had any issues with the SMC. With the netgear, the dropping would happen about once a day for a period of time. If everything's alright tommorow then I'd say we've found the culprit.

Any idea what might have been up with that Netgear? Seems like a lot of folks are having issues with it....

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi train_wreck.  We don not have a definitive answer at this time, however our Equipment Engineers are working with Netgear to resolve this issue.

Thank You

thanks for the info.

just to update, it's been 3 days with the SMC and we have had zero problems whatsoever.

leehopemcc
New Contributor

I finally was able to convince Comcast to replace this Netgear with an SMC....

Latency problem is gone....

I hope Netgear is working on a Firmware Fix, meanwhile the only solution if you have Static IP's is use an SMC.

SMC Solves Problem!!!!

Save yourself many hours of frustration and insist they find you an SMC...

SMC = Solves Many Complaints? Smiley Wink

elmergo
Visitor

They have been working on this issue for awhile now. The majority of techs in the field have no idea there is an issue. Chatham NJ, I have been told by the techs they don't have any modems but the Netgear.

Problem still exists, Comcast keeps sending out modems.

just a final update, it's been over a week with no issues to report with the SMC

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi train_wreck.  We appreciate the updates, good to hear that you have had consistent service since the hardware change.

rajak87
Visitor

I've been having a similar issue for 5 months now and posted about it at http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity/Periodic-high-ping-latency-on-CG3000DCR/m-p/8...

Unfortunately, it seems Comcast no longer has the SMC devices so a swap isn't even possible. If anyone else is seeing this issue, please post about it in the above thread to bring more attention to the matter.

Thanks,

Raja

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation