Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
MJohnston

Netgear Business Gateway and a Wireless Router

Hello, I had Comcast Business Class installed at my home office on Wednesday, and they supplied equipment is labelled (on the modem) as a Netgear CG3000D. There appears to be no information about this type of modem anywhere on the support site or this forum (or indeed the internet, aside from references to the non-Comcast version of the modem), but here is my problem - I've been attempting to pair this wired modem/router with a wireless Linksys WRT54G. I've contacted the phone support and they've put the Comcast gateway into pass-through mode (disabled DHCP and Firewall etc). I have then switched the Linksys into Static IP mode and entered all the correct details (my Static IP as the IP address, the gateway IP etc.), however it never works. I've uploaded screenshots of my entire setup here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151621005742941.1073741832.825212940&type=1&l=a3feea3369 , but basically any computer connected to the wireless network times out when connecting. Any ideas if my setup is wrong or if some of the equipment is broken in some way?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
tsummers
Frequent Contributor

Re: Netgear Business Gateway and a Wireless Router

Everything appears to be setup correctly.  Is it only wireless connections that time out?  Can devices connected to your linksys get out?  If you are able to connect a computer directly to the netgear, disconnect the linksys, and then configure that computer with the static information, can that computer get out?  

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome MJohnston. Our tier 2 group verified that the configuration of the Comcast Gateway is correct and that it does pass traffic. Please see the PM (private message) for additional info.

Thank You

0 Kudos
tomwiztel
Visitor

I am having the same exact problem with the same netgear gateway. I have a 29 block:

Gateway :162.xx.xx.230/29

IP #1 162.xx.xx.225

IP #2 162.xx.xx.226

IP #3 162.xx.xx.227

IP #4 162.xx.xx.228

IP #5 162.xx.xx.229

If I directly connect the gateway and allow the gateway to do DHCP/NAT, my connection works just fine. Traceroute's show the first hop as the gateway 162.xx.xx.230/29

However, as soon as I configure static ips on my router, I lose outbound connectivity. I can connect inbound from the internet, but nothing leaves outound. Any help would be nice!

0 Kudos
tomwiztel
Visitor

Yes, it will pass traffic IN but routable OUT is borked on this netgear. It really doesn't handle static IPs very well at all. We are getting ours replaced with an SMCD3G. So to the original poster, demand that Comcast issue you a different modem. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi tomwiztel. , Thanks for the post. While there are similarities of these threads, both with Netgear and Static IPs we worked with the original poster and resolved the issue on the cpe. Thank you again for posting to our community.  

0 Kudos