Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Need some information about buying my own modem

SOLVED
ShawnCao
Visitor

Need some information about buying my own modem

Hello. I am currently a comcast business internet users. I notice my bill goes up in recent years. When I signed up, I was told that I don't have options but rent modem from comcast. Now the rental fee goes up. But now I was told I can buy my own modem. Does that mean I can buy my own modem and remove the rental fee? Or it just mean that I still need to pay for the rental?

If I can use my own device without rental, how does it work. I goes to mydeviceinfo.comcast.net, it just redirect my to Amazon to buy modem. So I guess I just need to buy the ones that's approved from Amazon, and contact comast to return the rental one?

Thanks!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need some information about buying my own modem

Welcome ShawnCao. Comcast Business customers can utilize their own cable modem for internet services.  There is a short list of approved devices for Business customers is located Here.  Devices not approved for Business Services cannot be added to the Comcast Network.   To have the rental fees removed, it is necessary to contact Comcast Billing @ 800-391-3000

Approved DOCSIS 3.0 devices for Business Customers:

1    Motorola SB6120-Retail Motorola SURFboard SB6120 Retail Cable Modem      
2    Motorola SB6121-Retail Motorola SURFboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Retail Cable Mode...      
3    Netgear CG3000DCR Netgear CG3000DCR DOCSIS 3.0 Commercial Cable Modem an...      
4    SMCNetworks SMCD3G-CCR SMC DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Router SMCD3G-CCR  
ShawnCao
Visitor

Thanks for the answer. Base on the information you gave me, I can buy this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0

And contact Comcast to return the rental one. My main concern is that if I can wavie the rental fee. In my statement, there is no line item for rental fee. But the total goes up, and I was told it's because of the rental equipment fee goes up.

Can you confirm that if I got my modem, I can waive the rental fee? Thanks!

ShawnCao
Visitor

Another question: you gave me 4 choice now, however, when I click the link: "Click here to purchase a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem" in

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

There are a lot more choices. My questions is if it's not supported, why do you list so many different choice in your website?

Thanks!

ShawnCao
Visitor

Hi, John.

Can you answer my follow up questions?Thanks!

baomike
Visitor

I use my own SB6141. I got it from Amazon. Installation tech said he didn't know how to provision it.

Connected it up and scheduled a followup visit for the following week after I had aquired a SB66121.

I also contacted the salesman I had been dealing with, and expalined the problem, he said he would inquire.

Later that evening it was working.  Cancelled the visit to set up the sb6121 (it is now a spare).

Later a tech showed up to get the SB61641 working, and we had a good laugh. I thanked him and he left.

It has been working flawlessly ever since that first evening.

I did get a letter saying they had overlooked charging me rental on my modem on 14 Aug 2013, called Comcast and maybe got that cleared up. They seem to not realy look for anything out of their normal stream of operation.

Bottom line, SB6141 works as expected and I am happy with it and the service.

ShawnCao
Visitor

Thanks for you info. Did you rent a modem from comcast before? If yes, did your payment get lower after you use your own modem?

baomike
Visitor

If you are asking if I ever rented a modem , the answer is no.  Seemed silly. I plan on using Comcast Business for some time 

and buying a modem was soo  much better.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi ShawnCao.  The purchase device page list the approved DOCSIS 3 devices for both Business and residential services.

Thank You

ShawnCao
Visitor

Thanks for the info. Comcast is so messed up, when I install my comcast cable, the technician said I have to rent their modem. Because they want to provide good service. They can't garantee if it's my modem. Recently, my network is always restart itself, I called, comcast said they can send someone to check ,but if it's not their problem, I have to pay 100 for nothing. So I am just thinking buying my own modem.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation