Equipment (Modems,Gateways)
Modems, Gateways, and Networking Devices

Need my Modem in True Bridge mode

SOLVED
mwgarcia

Re: Need my Modem in True Bridge mode

Can I get my modem put into true bridge mode?

Designpro

Re: Need my Modem in True Bridge mode (New Business Class Customer/Upgraded from residential)

Greetings All

Interesting reads on the topic of Passthru vs. True Bridge Mode. My needs are simple. 

1. I have a gigabit network sitting behind a Cisco/Linksys AC1600 router. The router does everything for me. 

2. Comcast Modem/Router is from Netgear

3. The ask - True Bridge Mode - it turn off the Gateway(router). It makes it a (dumb) modem ( no settings ).

4. The challenge - I called Comcast help desk and spoke with two people, one that was not versed in the process and the second which did attempt to put the netgear modem into bridge mode, but all that did was kill my internet access for about 30M before restoring it. (Modem was restarted back to old settings).

Can I get some assistance with the above and a little clarity (if any) regarding changes I may have to make on my router that I may not be aware of. Right now the working assumption is no changes required other than perhaps a restart and no need to pay for a provisioned IP address. 

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom. 

I can provide any account details as necessary...in private message presumably. Smiley Happy

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello tomG,

Welcome to the forum.

Certainly, we can set the IP-Gateway to bridge mode for you but please note the following:

1. This will set the IP-Gateway to regular surfboard modem and "all" its router function will be disabled.

2. If you have a static IP range it will no longer "work" in this mode.

If you are still interested this is the information we need to set the IP-Gateway to bridge mode:

1. Your Full Name

2. Your Business Account number

3. RF MAC of the IP-Gateway

Please send this message to us via private message (pm).

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello MikeF74,

Being that you have a static IP True Bridge mode isn’t the best choice because once in True bridge modem you cannot use your static. From the sound if it if you want your router to take over routing and firewall functions with this being the case, I suggest that you login to the modem and disable DHCP and the Firewall within the gateway.  You can login to the modem by plugging directly into and go to any browser and type 10.1.10.1. It will bring up a login screen and your default user name and password are:

Username: cusadmin

Password: highspeed

Once logged in you can make those feature changes. If you run into any issues please feel free to let us know.

Thank you

Bumpshot
Contributor

Re: Need my Modem in True Bridge mode (New Business Class Customer/Upgraded from residential)

@Designpro wrote:

Greetings All

Interesting reads on the topic of Passthru vs. True Bridge Mode. My needs are simple. 

1. I have a gigabit network sitting behind a Cisco/Linksys AC1600 router. The router does everything for me. 

I am assuming you are talking about Firewall, port forwarding ,..

2. Comcast Modem/Router is from Netgear

i assuming you have the CG3000DCR

3. The ask - True Bridge Mode - it turn off the Gateway(router). It makes it a (dumb) modem ( no settings ).

True

4. The challenge - I called Comcast help desk and spoke with two people, one that was not versed in the process and the second which did attempt to put the netgear modem into bridge mode, but all that did was kill my internet access for about 30M before restoring it. (Modem was restarted back to old settings).

It sounds like you had the router put into pass-thru bridge mode. ( because you need to talk to a tier 2 Tech to get True Bridge). both bridge mode would do the same thing. ( in your case , would case same effect )

Yorur problem was that your Router was not set up right to accept the ip address ( make the handshake). For comcast server to give you a IP address.

it sound like you do not understand how to setup your router to do the handshake.

Can I get some assistance with the above and a little clarity (if any) regarding changes I may have to make on my router that I may not be aware of. Right now the working assumption is no changes required other than perhaps a restart and no need to pay for a provisioned IP address. 

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom. 

I can provide any account details as necessary...in private message presumably. Smiley Happy

Do not take this the wrong way. Just working with the info you gave us.

My suggestion is you do not put it in bridge mode. allow the netgear  modem/gateway to handle the IP address handshake.

But , The question I have before i give you a answer is : 

Why do you want to be in Bridge mode?

because if you do not understand how to setup your firewall setings right or port forward ing right.

You are just wide open to attacks,hack, virus, or just hacking your router.

If you do not understand how to setup and trouble shoot your own connection/Router. Then you should not be in bridge mode.

( i am only assuming this because you did not understand the setting to do the handshake with Comcast )

Also remember if you are in True Bridge mode. Comcast can not help you with fixing your connect once it leave their servers. it is your router not theirs. You will get NO Tech Support.

If you are in Pass-thru Bridge Mode Comcast can give you limited tech support.

if you leave  Your  Comcast modems alone . Comcast can make sure you are up and running.

I'm just hoping the ones that are asking for True Bridge mode fully under stand what that is.

How to protect your self and network from attacks,hacks,steal info, ... that can hurt your network,.

Aslo, you give up the Tech support from Comcast.

Please, I hope you have a IT tech that can help you.

It just worries me when people ask for thing that they don't fully understand. And cause there self a lot of problems.

Then blame it on the ISP.

If you are unsure  , please ask question in here or other tech area's  before  just doing it.

Let someone help you decide if you need this option.

Sorry, I had things on my mind. This is in no way ment to be mean.  I'm a IT tech and I have seen people do this for the wrong reasons. They cause a lot more problems , then they have to pay a person to fix. or have to find the answers of why it is doing this. or loseing down time to fix. Sorry again.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello mwgarcia,

Welcome to the forum.

I've received your message and changed the IP-Gateway to bridge mode.

Please note once again to reset your network router to receive dynamic WAN IP from the IP-Gateway.

Thank you

Trusted Forum Contributor

figured i'd signal boost what Bumpshot is saying here; i get the feeling some folks are asking for bridge mode because they're having problems with their OWN router, and feel like bridge mode will magically "fix" it.

I will say, that I personally have not encountered a situation where i truly NEEDED bridge mode. I have several sites now that are running both my own routers as well as a Comcast gateway in "normal" mode, and I am seeing zero problems. Port forwarding works just as expected on the Comcast gateways as they do on any other router out there. Without bridge mode, you just have to port forward twice (once on the Comcast gateway, and once on your own router), and make sure your own routers WAN address stays static (through manual assignment or DHCP reservation via the Comcast gateway). I realize a lot of people dread having "double NAT", but as long as both NAT devices work properly, i have not seen issues with this. (Keep in mind, on Verizon/AT&T/Sprint/many other mobile wireless carriers, your phones/tablets are already doing double NAT; check your IP address of the 3G/4G interface on your phone, and I bet you'll see a "10.x.x.x" address)

Plus, if you're enabling bridge mode, I might ask why you are even renting a Comcast gateway in the first place, since a COmcast gateway in bridge mode operates identically to a customer-owned modem....

TGreen

Disregard.

i too am looking for this.

I requested a staitc ip and was given one. The issue is (and i dont think the tech understood what i was trying to do) i need true bridge mode with a static IP.

i was given x.x.178.198 as the static IP and x.x.178.197 as the gateway.

i told him i didnt wanted to be double nat'ed is what is happening because i have an 10.1.10.1 IP assigned to the Netgear modem/router.

i just want a static IP assigned and my netgear CG3000DCR put into true bridge mode so i can put the x.x.178.197 (the gateway) on my internal wire/wireless router and let that handle all the traffic so I and do interal static routes/forwarding without being double nat'ed

the tech was telling me that i would have to buy a block of 5 to get what i needed. I dont think that is needed though. just need my netgear put into true bridge mode so it jsut passed the traffic over to my internal router/firewall/wireless device.

possible? Please contact me. 

Thanks

kunpowchicken

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello kunpowchicken,

Welcome to the forum.

I've received your message and replied to it.

Please review when you have time.

As I have mentioned on the reply if you want to utilize a static IP range to your network "pass through" mode will address it.

Setting the IP-Gateway to pass through mode will disable most of its router function allowing you to setup your network as you see fit.

Thank you